Fondant Slides Off

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 1:50am by tonedna

Bluesea Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:08am
post #1 of 8

The fondant cut-outs that i put on the side of the cakes slides off. Why is this happening?

Here's what happened: I frosted a cake with ganache and left it in the refrigerator overnight. Took it out the next mrng and began decorating the cake with fondant cut-outs all around. After about an hour, quite a number of those fondants began to slide off. Y is this happening?

What am i doing wrong? Don't want to screw up on the next cake.

Pls help.

Thanks.

7 replies
mclaren Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:17am
post #2 of 8

can't help you here as i had the same experience few weeks ago, but i was using chocolate glaze on my moist choc cake.
i ended up taking the accents off, & stopped putting more accents thati've planned on putting. mine slid off almost immediately after i tried putting them on the sides. :`(

i'm guessing your ganache condensated when you took the cake out from the fridge, that was why the accents slid?

Bluesea Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:24am
post #3 of 8

will it then help to make sure the cake comes to room temperature and than decorate with the cut-outs. will it help?

JenniferMI Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 8

I'm guessing it was condensation that made them sag......

Make sure the cake is room temp. before adding them.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - make them really thin, too. They might have been to heavy?

bethola Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with JenniferMI. Also high humidity (I blame EVERYTHING on humidity because I HATE IT!! LOL). Try using a dot of buttercream or maybe some melted chocolate to attach the fondant decorations.

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

tonedna Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 8

Yup... I agree with Jennifer. The cake should come to room temperature first. The condensation will make everything slippery.
What did you use to attach the fondant?
Edna

Bluesea Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for the replies & tips.

I used a water to attach the fondant to the cake.

Ok, will make sure the cake is in room temp before decorating.

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #8 of 8

Too much water can make it slippery too.
Good luck!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%