Homemade Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 5:23am by lutie

Iloveweddings Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:31am
post #1 of 10

I have seen on here so many times people chatting about homemade chocolate fondant and how it tasted so good. I do a search and cannot find any of those threads. It says there are 12637 matches. I try and go to a page past the first and it says "No topics or posts met your search criteria". Can you guys give me the links to the threads about this stuff? Thanks in advance.

9 replies
Kazoot Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:55am
post #2 of 10

I have never tried the chocolate MMF, but I did make the regular MMF and I liked it.........Hope this helps. This is the one from the CC site.

spunkybear Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:56am
post #3 of 10

Great question as that happens alot to me too?!? icon_cry.gif I just figured it was another one of those great (NOT) features of Windows Vista.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 10

Michelle Fosters recipe is totally homemade, I think.

Mine is semi-homemade icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 10

This lady has a great recipe for it. Plus her website gives great tips.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/FondantRecipes.htm
You can also find one in the recipe section of this site.
JEn...

Mencked Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

Jennifer--I'm going to have to order your DVD so I can get your recipe--it sounds like your choc. fondant is really great and extremely good to work with! I've made Michelle Fosters recipe and it really is yummy. I am a fondant newbie and didn't have any trouble working with it--I used it to make black fondant for a biker jacket cake I did! Michelle's recipe is in the recipe section here on CC.

jobueno Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 10

Don't know if you already found one but I always make my own chocolate fondant so here goes for everyone to try:

6 cups confectioners sugar
1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 Tbs vegetable shortening
1/2 cup glucose/corn syrup
1 Tbs glycerin
2 Tbs water

In a large bowl mix sugar and cocoa powder. In a seperate bowl bloom the gelatin in the water. In a double boiler set the gelatin over simmering water until disolved. Add the glucose, glycerin and the vegetable shortening. when all is melted and disolved remove from heat and let cool a bit but not completely. Add liquid mix to powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix until a nice smooth dough is formed. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a ziplock bag or airtight container.

I have made this recipe with the 2lbs of confectioners sugar and two cups of cocoa power like some recipes say but the amount of liquid is not enough to make a smooth paste it always turns out dry and crumbly. I'm giving you the revised version that works well for sure.

Hope this helps and enjoy...!

KonfectionKonnection Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 10

I found strawberry marshmallows and chocolate marshmallows at Wal-Mart the other day. I wanted to use them to make MMF--but I've only tried the strawberry. (I'm dying to try the chocolate, but haven't had time yet.) The strawberry MMF turned out really good! I put it on WASC w/ a strawberry filling--it was yummy. My DH even requested it again! (I wish I could let you know about the chocolate, too, but maybe this will help.)

jjkarm Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 10

Here's the recipe I use:

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant
1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS. Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night.
This makes a whiter, more flavorful fondant than MMF.

To make regular chocolate:
I substitute chocolate coffee creamer (I had to buy the powder and add liquid to it because I couldn't find any other kind of chocolate creamer.) Then instead of white chocolate just use regular chocolate. I tend to use almond bark for my fondant because it works very well, it's not too pricey, and it's easy to measure. I've heard other people say that you can add chocolate chips, but I've never tried that. When it's finished the fondant is a very light chocolate color, and the flavor is to die for!

LaWanda's recipe is very similar to Michele Foster's recipe. I thought LaWanda's was a little easier to work with. JMO. Not sure if the added chocolate is what makes the difference or not? They both taste very good though! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

HTH

lutie Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #10 of 10

Using the M. Foster's Fondant Recipe for white fondant, I just finished making the best tasting chocolate fondant tonight... It was so simple... I melted one 4 ounce bar of Ghirardelli Chocolate and added it to the liquid before I added it to the 10 X sugar. While it was melting, I added 1/4 cup of chocolate cocoa to the 10 X sugar and mixed it up completely with my stand mixer (KA).

... then all I did was pour in the liquid and the chocolate was the nicest color and the best flavor! I kept sampling it while I was wrapping it in the plastic wrap... I also used my homemade vanilla, so that probably added to the great flavor! You have to try this... it really is good!

I am using the chocolate fondant to cover a monkey made out of Rice Kr___ for the top of a baby shower cake. I will post a picture when I complete it tomorrow night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%