Wmi's- Quick Question About Course 1, Class 4

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm by Carolynlovescake

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 7

So, I have a quick question, and it's wayyy to late to call my instructor. I want to make the cake with the little round icing dots on it with the roses on top for my finale cake tomorrow..(it's mine and my sisters birthday, so we're getting an EXTRA cake! LOL)

Can I frost it with whipped ganache instead of buttercream, or does it need to be the buttercream? And I'm just supposed to take it in frosted right- nothing else needs to be made ahead? (Besides the icings I'm bringing)

Thanks.... icon_smile.gif <3

6 replies
lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 7

Hi, I'm a WMI.....I just taught Course 1 class 4 tonight, actually. haha

I would recommend that you ice it in the class buttercream instead of the whipped ganache. I've never iced any of my decorated cakes completely in ganache or whipped ganache, so I don't have any experience with how easy or difficult that might make it to decorate....so I'd just stick with what the book and your instructor tells you to do...which is buttercream. icon_smile.gif

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:38am
post #3 of 7

Oh, and for your other question....yes, the only thing you need to bring is an iced cake, besides your icing.

You could always fill it with the ganache and ice it in buttercream.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmansmum

Hi, I'm a WMI.....I just taught Course 1 class 4 tonight, actually. haha

I would recommend that you ice it in the class buttercream instead of the whipped ganache. I've never iced any of my decorated cakes completely in ganache or whipped ganache, so I don't have any experience with how easy or difficult that might make it to decorate....so I'd just stick with what the book and your instructor tells you to do...which is buttercream. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I just don't *love* the way the Wilton buttercream tastes, lol....I actually did a cake this weekend in just whipped ganache, and it did well...I just wasn't sure since the book didn't say *What* to ice it with if it was important or not....icon_smile.gif

It's a chocolate cake, so I'm thinking the chocolate butter cream with raspberry in the middle... yum icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #5 of 7

I'm a WMI and it doesn't really bother me what type of icing you ice your cake with. I've had students come in with all butter buttercream, cream cheese icing and chocolate icing. What ever you want to put on the actually cake shouldn't be a problem. But I do stress to my students that no matter what you ice your cake with to only use the Wilton Class Buttercream for the class practice.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #6 of 7

I agree w/Texas Sugar as an instructor. Add butter to you final cake icing to make it taste better, but the shortening makes it easier to work with and it won't get soft as quickly. You can also add a little meringue powder so it will whip up nicer and crust more quickly. You might also try Dream Whip! Yummy and it whips up nice, but may take a little less liquid. Good Luck

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

I'm going to chime in even though others have.

I know many are not huge on the crisco and/or class recipe.

For your techniques in class I stress using the class recipe.

As for the cake... I don't really care what it's frosted in. It's actually nice to have different kinds brought in and used so students can learn to trouble shoot icing issues in a controlled environment (not that I "control" my class, I mean in an environment where I'm there and they are less likely to panic if something goes wrong. icon_lol.gif )

I use it as an educational time of "so Mary how would you fix this...." or "Don what do you do when this happens..." and ask around to various students.

If you are comfortable doing it and taking it in I say go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%