Turn A Box Cake Into A Cake I Can Cover With Fondant

Decorating By lilahcakes Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm by lilahcakes

lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #1 of 11

I have bought tons of cake books, but i dont like the way the "from scratch" cakes taste, they are soo dry. Can i have a tasty cake that can be covered with fondant or will it be to soft and sink and will it be able to be stacked without sinking?
Thanks icon_sad.gif

10 replies
AlamoSweets Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #2 of 11

I cover my white almond sour cream and my chocolate almond sour cream all the time without a problem. However, I think it is important to allow any cake no matter what recipe you use to settle overnight. This will help keep it sturdy and it won't settle more after the fondant is applied. I bake my cakes, place them on cooling racks and wait until morning to frost them. I crumb coat them and let them rest for at least 2 hours to allow any bulging to occur. The time I allow for all of the settling is the trick I think. Once I remove the bulging I put the base coat of buttercream on before the fondant.

Hope this helps.

auntsteff Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 11

Have you ever tried the Cake Mix Doctor cookbooks?

She takes regular box cake mix but does not use the back of the box to make the cakes. She basically uses the box mix as the sugar & flour in the cake & adds other things to create more moist/tastier cakes.

lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 11

I'm going to do both, thanks for the advice! icon_lol.gif

ValMommytoDanny Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 11

I jsut add an extra egg and a box of pudding. it makes the cake more dense... this helps with holding it up to the fondant. icon_smile.gif
HTH

mommyle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 11

PM KoryAK and ask her about scratch. Or Leahs. Both are scratch bakers. they might have simple syrup tips for you. I like to scratch bake, but I find that I have more success with WASC and variations thereof. And I find that people SAY that they prefer scratch cakes, but actually EAT the WASC more. UGH!!!

jibbies Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:01am
post #7 of 11

I am strictly a box mix baker, not even doctored. I cover my cakes with fondant all the time. I do let them rest overnight. No problems.

Jibbies

maisyone2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #8 of 11

75% of the cakes I make are straight box, the other 24% are doctored cake mix. I have NO problem whatsoever with covering regular box mix cakes with fondant. No tearing, no sagging, no collapses.

lilahcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all the great tips guys!

Carlachef Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #10 of 11

I've been using the doctored mix thing for years but I find that all my tiered cakes sag a bit even after i let them settle over night and securely dowl rod them. I was just thinking about switching recipes just for tiered fondant cakes. Any suggestions???

lilahcakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 11

Carla Chef I wish i could suggest something, but im a newb. But maybe someone could post what brands they use that do well, and you could use that for your tiered cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%