Cccc Recipe #2 Lemon Cupcakes

Baking By daranaco Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm by Melvira

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #61 of 130
Quote:
Quote:

Also, isn't there still another week for the lemon cupcakes ... till Sept 9th?

I put that on my original email but there's no reason we have to wait another week. If everyone wants to start the next recipe, I'm fine with that!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #62 of 130

I love Muffins So Thats fine with me, either/ or,Its all good ! Congrats Mel!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #63 of 130

I will absolutely wait a while longer. I don't want to take away from this thread and I know there are several people that still want to try this one. (including me!) What if I start the new one around Friday or something so people can have the weekend to try either recipe!?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #64 of 130

Sounds good to me too Mel. I love both cuppies and muffins so I say go for it.

SweetDreams glad you had such a great time with the Lemon Cuppies too. They are so wonderful. I will definately make them again. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #65 of 130

muffins are always welcome in my kitchen. icon_smile.gif
I'm excited about the next recipe. With all of you ladies getting good results I may have to try this one again. I'm a clutz. Probably messed them up the first time

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #66 of 130

Yes! Muffins too! I have been wanting to ask that as well, but have not taken the time! Thank you for suggesting it! In fact, I just made some peach cupcakes-- when they came out I was wondering what the difference between some cupcakes and muffins? We have been eating these cupcakes with out any icing-- so they seem more like muffins?

Melvira Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #67 of 130

penguinprincess, you have stumbled on to an age old battle! The difference between them depends completely on who you ask!

Some will say that a muffin is something you'd eat for breakfast, where a cupcake is a dessert item. Some say flavor is the difference. Some say muffins should have some nutritional value through the addition of fruits and nuts, and dramatically less sugar content, where cupcakes are purely a sugary treat. For some it's the difference between icing them or not, and the texture of the actual finished product. Heavy and dense is a muffin, light and fluffy is a cupcake! One difference in them is the 'muffin method' of mixing where you mix all your dry ingredients, then your wet separately, then bring them together until just barely mixed, whereas a cupcake you mix thoroughly, often beating for several minutes, or whipping egg whites and folding in separately, etc.

What's the truth behind it? What is the REAL difference between a muffin and a cupcake? I have that answer... if I call it a muffin, I can pretend I'm eating healthy!! icon_lol.gif

Edited for a typo because I am just THAT anal. Can't let it slide!! icon_rolleyes.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #68 of 130

Thank you Melvira! Well these are cupcakes are very light and yummy after dinner-- and I have no doubt they will be yummy tomorrow AM for breakfast-- when they will then be a muffin! hehe
Hey-- they have fruit in them!!

Thank you agfin for the explanation!! I have to say -- I love them both and am looking forward to these yummy recipes-- cupcakes or muffins!!!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #69 of 130

Is this a contest or a challenge? Is there a winner?
Is there posting of pictures afterwards?

sayhellojana Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:48am
post #70 of 130

calicopurr -
No contest, but posting of pictures is encouraged. We all try one recipe and discuss the results. I skipped this round (it's lemon cupcakes. The recipe is on the first page of the thread) but everyone else has really liked them so far

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:31am
post #71 of 130

did I miss the deadline? is it too late to make the lemon cupcakes? if not, when do they have to be 'ready'? I missed the carrot icon_confused.gif , I really would have liked to try them. Maybe i'll try them anyway at a later date.

Also, Melvira.....where can I get Kahula syrup? id love to try your mocha cc recipe too! mmm-mmm-mmm sounded scrumptious!
Please let me know! ty.
Jess

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:03am
post #72 of 130

thanks for the reply sayhellojana. I get it now.

Is this web site slow for you like it is for me? I read about CC getting the bugs out. ..humm?

Kaluha is can be found in the liquor dept. It a coffee type of flavor....very nice and different from other coffeeish ones. Makes a good White Russian drink......and a Black Russian.....you can google those recipes after you get your bottle...hee hee.

Mel......can you post the links to the other cuppie challenges? Was there only the carrot cake before this lemon one?

Thanks everyone!!

sayhellojana Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:20am
post #73 of 130

Cal-
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-600308-0.html
That is the original CCCC thread with the carrot recipe. It was great. And yes, there was only a carrot cuppie before this.

The website is sometimes slow for me, loading pictures and such, and sometimes not. It's pretty much hit and miss, I suppose.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #74 of 130

Cal, you can still try both recipes and give your opinions. Not too many rules with the CCCC! Just try it and see if you like it! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:23pm
post #75 of 130

I believe this thread is just about having fun! Try the ones you want and skip the ones you dont ! Just a way to find out about new recipes,And get lots of opinions ! Jump in and out when you have the time or see one you want to try ! Or collect them and try them at a later date !

Melvira Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #76 of 130

The Kahlua syrup I used was DaVinci's sugar free, and I actually got it at Sam's club. It's one of a handful of flavors that they are carrying now. Honestly, I can't say exactly where to get certain flavors because I just buy whatever brands and flavors I find while I'm out and about. The only thing I can suggest if you simply cannot find the flavors you want is to order them directly from the manufacturer!!

Torani: www.Torani.com or www.flavoredsyrups.net/torani-syrups.htm
DaVinci: www.davincigourmet.com
Artista Gourmet: www.artistagourmet.com

And there are many more if you do a search... I have about six brands in my cupboard, I swear! icon_rolleyes.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #77 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I will absolutely wait a while longer. I don't want to take away from this thread and I know there are several people that still want to try this one. (including me!) What if I start the new one around Friday or something so people can have the weekend to try either recipe!?

Thank you, I haven't had time to get to these yet icon_cry.gif and so want to make these!!

Meemawfish Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #78 of 130

Okay Ladies I have upload my Lemon cuppies in my photos now so please have a look . Like I said they were so delicious. icon_biggrin.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #79 of 130

Meemawfish...those look yummy, definately gonna have to try them now.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #80 of 130

Meemawfish..Thanks for the comment on my cupcakes ! Yours look so yummmy!

Meemawfish Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #81 of 130

Thank you too ladies and I am really enjoy all of our recipes on the CCC. icon_biggrin.gif

JessDesserts Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #82 of 130

[quote="Melvira"]The Kahlua syrup I used was DaVinci's sugar free, and I actually got it at Sam's club. It's one of a handful of flavors that they are carrying now. Honestly, I can't say exactly where to get certain flavors because I just buy whatever brands and flavors I find while I'm out and about. The only thing I can suggest if you simply cannot find the flavors you want is to order them directly from the manufacturer!!

Mel ( may I call you Mel?) ty so much for your response. I asked my original question b/c I saw "syrup" after Kahula and I figured I should clarify. I am an 'experimentor' at heart and I love, love, LOVE to try new things and different combinations. I cant wait to get some new goodies!
Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #83 of 130

You may absolutely call me Mel, if I may call you Jess! icon_wink.gif

I, too, love to experiement with products and flavors. It's by trying things that seem odd that I've come up with some of my best ideas!! (Helllllooooo... a paint roller? Come on... really. You know that idea made me laugh the first time I did it! I was prepared to look stupid!) But seriously, if you are brave at heart and willing to make some nasty mistakes, you can really make some startling discoveries. People around here are always tickled to see the new stuff I come up with!

sayhellojana Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #84 of 130

Ohh! Ohh! I want hang with the cool girls, can I call you Mel too???
lol icon_smile.gif

I've been experimenting with Pastry Pride a bit. I'm liking it so far. May try it instead of heavy cream and sugar in my vanilla coffee cream (piped into eclair shells, homemade, of course!)
So thanks for your huge bettercream thread Mel, you may have converted me

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #85 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Ohh! Ohh! I want hang with the cool girls, can I call you Mel too???
lol icon_smile.gif

I've been experimenting with Pastry Pride a bit. I'm liking it so far. May try it instead of heavy cream and sugar in my vanilla coffee cream (piped into eclair shells, homemade, of course!)
So thanks for your huge bettercream thread Mel, you may have converted me

Oh yah!

And that sounds delish!! I love eclairs!! (Unfortunately)

JessDesserts Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #86 of 130

Last night I baked Caramel Appletini cc's. I substituted the liquid with some Vodka and Apple pucker in my fav vanilla cake recipe. The cake was scrumptous! Then I made SMBC with caramel I made from boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk. I drizzed store bought caramel ( like ice cream topping) over them and finished them off with a little apple I made from fondant. My coworkers loved them, even though they kept calling the apples "olives". I guess b/c the stems were pink- that was the colors the prepackaged Wilton fondant came in.
Bake and learn , right?!?!?!?! thats my motto: bake and learn!
Jess icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #87 of 130

Jess, that sounds adorable!! Now, I have to ask for anyone who purports to know... does the Vodka "do" anything? I mean, the Pucker would obviously give a sour apple flavor, but does the vodka give a taste? Does it bake out? I've soaked stuff in booze after baking (hehehe) but never added it before baking.

Meemawfish Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #88 of 130

Jess I would also like to know this because I'm doing a Margarita Cake for my Daughters birthday and she has 2 little ones so I sure don't want them to get drunk eating mama's cake. icon_razz.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:30pm
post #89 of 130

I made Cake Love's Vanilla Pound Cake and it takes rum, whiskey, amarreto and brandy! You can taste the liquor in the cake but it is really mild and surprisingly gives it a more vanilla flavor!
Jess, can you give us your favorite vanilla cake recipe? icon_smile.gif

JessDesserts Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #90 of 130

First let me say..... yes , yes, YES you can taste the vodka in the cake. My bf doesnt drink alcohol but loves to lick the batter off my KA paddle ( theres something there..hmmmm....im gonna leave it alone- this time) and he winced when he tasted it. Which of course made me insist he taste the cake after it baked and he couldnt believe how strong it was. Also, one of my co-workers usually takes a cc for her g-daughter and declined to bring the appletini cc home for her today after she tasted it. But for the adults......dayyyyyum is that good!
Second, I made the lemon cc recipe today and i have mixed feelings. I absolutely love the cake. There is nothing not to like about it. The flavor is light but noticable, the texture is sort of dense but still moist. I think the little specks of lemon rind is fabulous. The frosting......it definitely wasnt for me. I didnt like it and I couldnt doctor it enough either. I added more powered sugar, tried to make it fluffier, threw some more grated lemon peel......nothing . I actually ended up checking the date on my cream cheese to make sure it was still good. I always like things in the sweeter side and i'm not usually a fan of citrus. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, unfortunately I wasnt. Oh well, it was fun to try a new recipe and I will add the cake to my "book" ( ill have to make a special trip to the saftey deposit box, in the next county, I keep under an alias).
Its almost midnight and I didnt feel like making a pretty, WOW looking cc, so I just make a sweet swirl and sprinkled some grated lemon peel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%