Cccc Recipe #2 Lemon Cupcakes

Baking By daranaco Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm by Melvira

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:21am
post #1 of 130

Is everyone ready for the CCCC recipe #2?! After the huge success GrandmaG had with her delicious carrot cake cupcakes, I can only hope to do as well!

I found this recipe on Food Network and thought it sounded great. Plus it received a lot of good reviews. It will need to be adapted for cupcakes. You can view the original recipe here
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe/index.html

LEMON CAKES (half recipe)
Copyright 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
4 tsp grated lemon zest lightly packed (3 to 4 large lemons - Use only fresh lemons and lemon juice)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 Tbl cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 Tbl cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream the butter and 1 cup granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 2 Tbl lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar with 4 Tbl lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan; spoon the lemon syrup over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

FRESH LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

8oz cream cheese at room temp
8 tbls butter at room temp
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
2 tbls fresh lemon juice
1 tbls grated lemon zest (approx. 1 lemon)

Mix cream cheese and butter together until well blended. Add confectioners sugar slowly. Mix in lemon juice and zest.

As recipe contributor this week I get to decide how long we have until the next recipe is submitted. I think we should have 2 weeks to test this recipe. So, the next recipe will post on Tuesday, September 9th.

Iâve been given the challenge of selecting the next recipe contributor. To do this, Iâve decide to ask all those who are interested to PM me with a number between 1 and 1000 before midnight on Thursday August 28th. Iâve chosen a number (which I have shared with Grandma G, just to keep things fair). The person closest to the number will be the next recipe contributor!

Happy Baking!

129 replies
paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #2 of 130

I like lemon cakes. I am very excited about these, as soon as I do the others!!! Time just ran away this weekend.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #3 of 130

I would love to join this but cream cheese and lemons are too expensive where I'm from. although i am such a big fan of anything lemon-y. i hope you would post pictures of your cupcakes so I can drool while looking at them icon_smile.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:53am
post #4 of 130

Oh these sound delicious too. I will make some as soon as I get a chance. Thanks, icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 130

Can't wait to try it Daranco!
Cupcakes, where do you live that cream cheese is expensive?

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 130

Is this a typo? Do you mean 6 tablespoons?

Thks...I've been lurking, but I LOVE LEmon. And I LOVE to test....

Julia

GrandmaG Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

Is this a typo? Do you mean 6 tablespoons?

Thks...I've been lurking, but I LOVE LEmon. And I LOVE to test....

Julia

It might just be easier to click on her Food Network link and print the recipe out. icon_smile.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 130

daranaco, I am so on this recipe!! I love anything with lemon. Thanks for the thread early, I didn't want to wait till Friday icon_cry.gif

Dawn

daranaco Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 130
Quote:
Quote:

---This is a typo!!---

It should be 6 tablespoons, not cups! I cut the recipe in half because it makes a lot of cake. When I did, I forgot to erase "cups."

Thank you so much acookieobsession for pointing this out!

frstech Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 130

may I ask where the icing recipe came from??

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 130

daranaco, excellent choice! You can't go wrong with lemon!! One quick question... you said to modify for cupcakes... is the version you typed out modified for such or what would we need to do?? Thanks for helping a dummy!!

daranaco Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstech

To be honest I'm not exactly sure. I have a large Word file where I cut and paste recipes that I want to try. It's definitely from somewhere on CC but I have no clue where it came from. Could it be yours?

daranaco Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #13 of 130
Quote:
Quote:

One quick question... you said to modify for cupcakes... is the version you typed out modified for such or what would we need to do??

The cooking time will need to be adjusted. That should be it since I've already halved the recipe.

GrandmaG Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 130

We don't want to forget to post a link for each previous CCCC threads to the new ones! icon_smile.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=600308&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Melvira Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

The cooking time will need to be adjusted. That should be it since I've already halved the recipe.

Oh, ok!! Just making sure! I didn't want to screw it up right from the get-go! Hahaha!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Cupcakes, where do you live that cream cheese is expensive?

In the philippines. icon_smile.gif it's relatively expensive here, not an everyday thing, you can only find it in specialty stores, especially in the small city i live in. i lvoe cream cheese so when i buy it, i tend to just eat it in fear of having a recipe turn out wrong LOL

sorry for the OT. icon_biggrin.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 130

Oh yay Lemon! I never got a chance to make the carrot ones. I wonder if I have everything to make these even though I know that I have no cream cheese right now... Hmmmm

frstech Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by frstech

To be honest I'm not exactly sure. I have a large Word file where I cut and paste recipes that I want to try. It's definitely from somewhere on CC but I have no clue where it came from. Could it be yours?

No it definately isn't mine icon_redface.gif Just was curious is all, just sounds deliteful and seems absolutely perfect for this recipe.

Dawn

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 130

yummy icon_lol.gif
tx thumbs_up.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 130

Lemon is my absolute fav. YEAH!!!!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #21 of 130

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask-about how many cuppies does this make?

daranaco Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz3

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask-about how many cuppies does this make?

I don't know yet. I plan to make them tomorrow so I'll post the amount.

Melvira Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #23 of 130

You guys are killing me... I have to wait until Saturday to make them so they are fresh for church Sunday... how am I supposed to wait that long?? Sheesh!

frstech Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #24 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You guys are killing me... I have to wait until Saturday to make them so they are fresh for church Sunday... how am I supposed to wait that long?? Sheesh!

I hear ya, I may not even be able to get to them this weekend! icon_cry.gif

Quick question, can I use margarine in the icing recipe or will it detract from the cuppy recipe too much seeing as how it has butter in it?? If I have to use butter in the icing recipe, does it need to be salted or unsalted??

frstech Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #25 of 130

Did I stump everyone with my question??

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm
post #26 of 130

Oh, sorry!

I would not suggest margarine as it would have a margarine taste. Does that make sense? Butter has a better flavor. You can use either type of butter, different people will tell you different reasons to use the different types! icon_rolleyes.gif Some people think the salted butter is rank, some people think the unsalted is nasty! Whatever you do, if you use the unsalted, use a pinch of salt. If you use salted, be careful about using salt. Either way will taste good!!

frstech Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #27 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Oh, sorry!

I would not suggest margarine as it would have a margarine taste. Does that make sense? Butter has a better flavor. You can use either type of butter, different people will tell you different reasons to use the different types! icon_rolleyes.gif Some people think the salted butter is rank, some people think the unsalted is nasty! Whatever you do, if you use the unsalted, use a pinch of salt. If you use salted, be careful about using salt. Either way will taste good!!

MY HERO icon_lol.gif Thanks, I will stick with salted butter, I am just used to using margerine, expense wise.

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #28 of 130

I know what you mean, but it's worth the extra cost in this situation. And check WalMart because butter is usually a LOT cheaper there! I get it for under $2 normally, although right now it's higher.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #29 of 130

I would ove to be in the CCCC club. How do you join. Is there a list of who goes next in line for the recipes.I have a recipe that I would love everyone to try. I cant wait to bake these lemon ones.

GrandmaG Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #30 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I would ove to be in the CCCC club. How do you join. Is there a list of who goes next in line for the recipes.I have a recipe that I would love everyone to try. I cant wait to bake these lemon ones.

There is no requirements to join except you have to have fun! Just read the first post and that will explain how to get a chance to post a new recipe!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%