Need Good Chocolate Cake Recipe For Wedding!

Decorating By snowynight Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm by bashini

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding coming up soon and I need a good chocolate cake that is yummy and will stand up under fondant. I've never made the WASC could I make a chocolate cake out of it and use it? Maybe just add cocoa to it? Sorry for all the questions. TIA
Kathy

9 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 10

One of my most popular is the chocolate wasc. In place of the white cake mixes, use chocolate cake mix.

In place of the liquid (water) I use coffee and chocolate creamer to equal the same amount of water

In place of 8 egg whites, I use 7 whole eggs.

And I do not use almond extract in it. Just vanilla

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 10

I've never tried this under fondant - but it's a pretty sturdy recipe..it has been the bottom of a 3 tier cake and was just fine.

And DELISH!!
Makes up quick and easy in the KA.

CBMom's Chocolate Cake

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
2 tsp Baking powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c margarine or butter - just melted to soft (still has solid bits)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups hot water - not boiling

Dump all dry ingredients into mixer - mix
Add in wet ingredients - just don't pour the hot water on top of the eggs - and mix until smooth..5 minutes or so.. into greased 9x13 pan for 30-40 minutes at 350*

Yum icon_biggrin.gif
HTH!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 10

There are two really good recipes on this site similar to the one posted by CBMOM and they are great. I use a chocolate ganache filling under the fondant and it holds up well.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 10

best chocolate cake ever- fondant only makes it more moist! people rave about how good this is and it is super easy! i always put a thin board under each layer and use lollipop sticks as support just in case though, but it works well with fondant. for bigger cakes i bake at 325 for longer times.

http://thepmsclub.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/wicked-wandas-chocolate-cake/#comment-932

danitza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danitza Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 10

The chocolate candy bar cake is just delicious and it holds very well in a tier cake, and the fondant keep it very moist. I made a wedding cake last year with each layer a different chocolate variation, however this was a hit. This layer ran out very, very fast and people were asking for more. I am currently working on another chocolate wedding cake and all the layers will be the same chocolate candy bar cake. Good luck on your cake!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 10

kellymarie, i just bookmarked that. thanks i'm gonna give it a try. i wonder if i can use dutch processed cocoa in it.

danitza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danitza Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 10

Oooopppsss, I forgot to give you the link for the recipe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-343-23-Chocolate-Candy-Bar-Cake.html

Enjoy

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 10

Cupcakeshoppe- this recipe is pretty versatile and forgiving. I have made it with beer before, turned out great. I forgot the oil one, turned out great. I tuned it into a white cake, was great! So i would go ahead and try the dutch cocoa. I am pretty sure that is all my friend uses and she has never complained!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 10

Hi, here is another recipe. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds yummy.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4577/wedding-cake--rich-dark-chocolate-cake

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%