Need Help With This One Bigtime!

Decorating By shantel575 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 12:03pm by armywifebryan

shantel575 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif

I just had someone send me this cake photo. I've done some mad hatter and topsy turvy cakes but nothing like this yet.... the things that I'm needing help on are:

1) the pieces that look like box tops/lids?
2) the pillow on the top? (is that carved I'm guessing?)
3) construction? (the box tops are throwing me)

ANY help or advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shantel icon_smile.gif
LL

7 replies
alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 8

The box tops are probably styrofoam. they are likely held up with dowels. They look like they were the cake boards for the cake above it. By the looks of your avatar you're familiar with this type of topsy turvey. The round one doesn't look like it has a styro wedge under the lid, but the square lid might.

deliciously_decadent Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 8

ok are you ready for a long and involved description???
here we go: the bottom tier start with a square cake then take a styro cake dummy the same size as the bottom tier cut diagonally in half to the desired angle of your lid. roll out gumpaste andcover the top of the styro to look like the lid. cover the bottom tier dowel and stick styro section on, add gumpaste/fondant ruffles and attach with fondant glue and prop up till dry with straws and cotton wool. next fill in any gaps with your roses (insert the bare wire stem straight into the styro -so easy)
second teir is exaclty the same but using round instead of sqaure and finally top tier pillow is a very high square carved to the middle at the edges, the trick to covering these are to cover the buttom first with the bottom up and the top on the table then flip over and cover the top then you cover the join with the gold piece around the middle
finally I would advise a center dowel for stability. let me know if i have forgotten anything or if you have any questions! hope i helped and please post the finished cake too

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

I would think that you could use cake drums (you know the 1/2 or so silver ones you can buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby) covered with MMF or fondant of your choice. The top pillow box could actually be carved from rice crispie treats and covered with MMF. I would also dowel it all using a very sharp dowel to penetrate the drums. Might take a lot of twisting it through in order to whittle your way through. Good luck and be sure and let us know how it turned out.

Juds2323 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 8

that was done by cc's own adven68 here is the link to the cake. Maybe you can pm her for help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_323913.html

HTH

Judi

shantel575 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 8

awesome, thank you all! I will PM her and see if she's willing to share any tips icon_smile.gif I tell ya.. people think if you decorate one cake you can make anything they can find! LOL I wish I had that much confidence!

alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #7 of 8

adatay,

In case I want to do one of these one day, help me understand your description about the lids. Are you saying to cut a wedge out of a dummy and that's the lid? When I look at the round lid, I can see underneath it. It's surely not solid from the top of the lid to the top of the round cake. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your directions. Can you clarify?

armywifebryan Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 8

A styrofoam wedge is what you use to hold the lid open. The lid itself is usually made out of cardboard (or it could be more styrofoam) covered with fondant. HTH

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%