Tax Id Number

Business By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:30am by alanahodgson

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 6

Anyone have info on having a tax id number? I just had my first customer ask for an invoice.....and I don't have a tax id number. I created the invoice in word and removed the section for the tax id. I hope the company will accept it. Anyone know if it's required? I'm nervous....Thanks!

5 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

You can get one from the irs by calling or going to their website.
Required in what way?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

Getting a tax ID number is easy.. just log onto the IRS website and put in your info and blamo.. you have a tax ID number..

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

This may differ from state to state but ....

A sole proprietor does not require a Federal ID Number unless you have employees. I ran into this when I had the contract for monthly birthday cakes at a company. They wanted my EIN. I said I didn't have one ... use my SS#. They said they had to have an EIN. I said no they didn't ..... as a sole proprietor, I was not required to have an EIN and therefore my business did not have an EIN. The "clerk" kept wanting to argue with me and I just told her to run it past their CFO and if he has a problem with it, he can call me himself.

problem solved.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This may differ from state to state but ....

A sole proprietor does not require a Federal ID Number unless you have employees. I ran into this when I had the contract for monthly birthday cakes at a company. They wanted my EIN. I said I didn't have one ... use my SS#. They said they had to have an EIN. I said no they didn't ..... as a sole proprietor, I was not required to have an EIN and therefore my business did not have an EIN. The "clerk" kept wanting to argue with me and I just told her to run it past their CFO and if he has a problem with it, he can call me himself.

problem solved.

This is true but I find that having my SSN floating around make sme nervous. I've had my identity stolen several times--strangely enough by blonde white women with my VERY african name. LOL!

Back on topic (I really shouldn't post after drinking a cocktail icon_razz.gif ):

I find that having an EIN is best to have so that I'm not giving out my personal info. Even now I no longer give my full SSN in any circumstance. Instead I write-- xxx-xx-(then my four ss numbers).

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #6 of 6

When I did an order for a company that was purchasing my cookies they wanted to send me a tax form (don't remember the number) that they send to all their vendors. I was nervous because I don't have a EIN and to top it off, they are an association for accountants. She said my soc. was fine. I hear what you all are saying about not putting personal info out there, but in an "emergency" the social security number worked just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%