Best Way To Make A Filling Dam?

Decorating By cakeladyem Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 4:11am by cakeladyem

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

I have a cake this weekend with strawberry filling and white fondant. I usually just make a dam with buttercream around the tier before adding the filling, but I am worried about it leaking through. Has anyone ever made a dam in addition to the BC out of fondant, like a rolled snake of it to make sure it won't leak through? I had thought of it and wondered if that is something that has been done. Any other advice to help is greatly appreciated! I have to drive about 35 miles to deliver this one and I am a little nervous about getting pink streaks of fondant where white should be, especially with the heat and vibrations of the road making the filling softer and runnier. Thanks again!

Emily

4 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #2 of 5

i am quite sure that you can make a dam out of rolled fondant...just brush the underside and top of the fondant rope lightly so that it will stick to the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 5

The bc dam will work fine. Really. Just make sure the bc is very stiff.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

You could make a dam out of fondant, but I wouldn't want to be the poor schlub who got THAT piece of cake icon_eek.gif

Like Leah says, a dam of stiffened buttercream is fine. I pipe mine with a pretty large star tip and go over it a second time. I also never fill to the top of the dam--that's tempting fate.

I have heard of adding some cake crumbs to the icing used for a dam to help strengthen it, too. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it could work nicely.

HTH
Rae

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #5 of 5

Great advice, thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%