How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By tana Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm by sadsmile

tana Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone-

Just wanted some opinions on how much i should charge for these kind of cakes. This baptism cake is a 3 layer vanilla with chocolate and banana and vanilla and banana with buttercreme frosting with gumpaste flowers.
LL

12 replies
pjaycakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 13

What size round cakes are they? Also, it depends alot on your area. I would probably charge my basic price for that, since there isn't alot of extra work involved.

krystyne_wilson Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 13

I'm not sure but it's BEAUTIFUL!!! I like how the flowers take over the side instead of having the border all around...I LOVE IT!!!

tana Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks- and forgot to add that it is a 16in and I live in Illinois.

Any suggestions?

karenm0712 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 13

My base price is $1.65 (this includes fillings) so my base price would be $132 (serving 80 ppl). I would also tag on about $15-$20 for the flowers.

Good Luck!

FromScratch Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 13

For a 16" round (that's 100 servings) I would charge $450.00. And the flowers would be extra. They are pretty basic flowers (meaning they are flat and not wired or anything) so maybe and extra $50.00 to make it an even $500. My base price is $4.50/serving buttercream. It's not a $500 cake it's dessert for 100 for $5/serving. That's one HUGE cake.

stephaniescakenj Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 13

That's a tough one! 16 inch is a huge cake, according to earlene it serves 90 people... It all depends on what the going rate for cake is in your area really. I would call around and see what the average cost per serving is, also call the grocery store type places and see if they offer anything to compare to. I think my area would be something around $2 or $2.50 per serving maybe but it's been awhile since I checked, that would be more for a tiered cake but since this is just one tier I would say that's too high. I don't know that I would pay for $180 for a cake which in turn means I could never charge more than I think it's worth... but I am notorious for undercharging, I practically pay people to eat my cake, so why am I even responding : ) I think your best bet is to call around to local bakeries and such and see if they have a flat rate for 16 round and if not, then ask what their price per serving is and go from there.

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #8 of 13

You absolutely cannot think of it in terms of what you would pay.. you will never make any money that way. I wouldn't want to pay $500 for a cake, but that's why I make them.. so I don't have to. icon_wink.gif But it doesn't mean that there aren't those out there who would and think nothing of it.

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 13

According to the Wilton party cake chart a 16" serves 60. My price per serving is $3 for buttercreme, so $180 + $20 for the flowers 'cause they're fast.

16" = 100 servings is from the Wilton wedding chart. Do you use the wedding chart for everything?

So, what did you charge?

tana Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #10 of 13

icon_redface.gif leahs-

it was free...

my mom was the godmother and i just couldn't charge her. But it seems that everyone wants the cake free, substituding the present.

shadowgypsie Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #11 of 13

Isn't that the truth! My DD calls me up and says mom I need a cake for a baby shower I'm giving it as a gift. OK no problem til I find out it has to feed 50 people.

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 13

I would have done it for free for my mom too.

I don't know about you, but I use the wedding chart for everything.. no way I am charging less for the same amount of cake just because it's not for a wedding. If anything.. you should charge MORE for party sized servings since they are 50% bigger than wedding slices and you still have to make the same amount of cake.

This is something I never understood.. let me make you an 8" cake and because it's for a party I will charge you less for it than I would if it was for a wedding because you will want to cut bigger pieces. icon_confused.gif

sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 13

Well they got a good deal! It's pretty! Somehow the third layer has changed the proportion and it looks smaller then a 16..lol That is a huge cake! How many flowers are on there and what kind are they? Looks like there are a whole lot.

jkalman -I am with you on the serving thing and party cakes! Pricing doesn't seam to make much sence sometimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%