Staking Cakes An 2 Other Questions

Decorating By bflykisses01 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm by lilahcakes

bflykisses01 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I'ma bit of a dummy, I am very new to this and I'm planning on making my daughters cake gfor her 1st bday.. so ofcourse I want it to be as perfect as possible.. so 1) how do I stack a cake on a stand without it sinking to the bottom cake, 2) do i decorat the cake then transfer it to the stand or do I decorate it on the stand it's going to be presented on last but not least .. what/ how do I move a decorated cake on to a stand , is there some special gadget I shoulod use... please help me cake experts icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

thanks a million!!!!!

7 replies
becklynn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 8

There is a great video on youtube called "Assembling a Wedding Cake" that shows you how to put dowels in your cake, then stack.

I would decorate it right on the stand it's going to be on.

Good luck!

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 8

I also have a video on youtube showing how to stack a cake, I also like to do most of the decorations after it's stacked:

becklynn Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 8

seriouscakes:
WOW I loved your video! That's awesome the way you pipe your roses right on top of the cake! I'm jealous! I can't even do them on a flower nail!

bflykisses101:
I have also used the large bubble tea straws for support. as long as you have something to support your tiers, you'll be fine.

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #5 of 8

becklynn-lol, that's why I pipe them right on the cake, I hate the flower nail!! It tasks me icon_mad.gificon_lol.gif

lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8

Ok first off its awsome watching you make those flowers. But I also have a newbie question for you. When you stacked the cakes it looked like you had cake boards under the top layers also, But did you pre cut holes for the dowels in the cake board? if so are the holes just big enough for the dowels to fit through them?
thanks icon_redface.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #7 of 8

Thank you!!
I think I should have explained myself in the video a little better, I get this question a lot icon_biggrin.gif
Those dowels and straws are the same height as the cake, I only sink them a little bit into the bottom cake, then let the weight of the top cake sink them the rest of the way in. Does that make sense? I see why it looks like they're going into the layer above them but they're really sinking into the cake below icon_biggrin.gif

lilahcakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 8

oh, thanks. That makes sense. It's a great video!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%