A Silly Question?

Decorating By allycook Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm by Bettycrockermommy

allycook Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

I know this probably sounds silly to all you cake makers who have been doing this for years, but I wanted to know if chocolate ganache can be used as a filling for fondant cakes or must it be refrigerated? Can it be used as a filling or not preferred? I need something for a chocoholic and thought it just might satisfy the chocolate tooth.

4 replies
Karema Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

I think you can whip the ganache and it will make a whipped ganache filling. I hope that makes sense. I hope I'm right. I dont know much but I think I've read that on here before

sari66 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 5

Not a silly question. Just as karema said ganache can be whipped to use as a filling just cool it first.

alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #4 of 5

I can see that you're not really getting your question answered. I would say that yes, ganache does need to be refrigerated. However, I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes with no ill effects. The condensation that develops on them will evaporate and the finish will be fine as long as you don't touch it when it's wet.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 5

I have used ganache both for filling and for icing under a fondant cake. I refrigerated the cake before I covered it in fondant, but afterward, I left it out and did not have a problem. I even mailed the same cake to California and my friend said the cake was delish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%