Frostings - How To Tell If The Recipe Will Crust?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 5:14am by Amia

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 8

There are so many recipes on CC that look very yummy, but I'm having difficulty deciphering whether the frosting will crust or not. I realize some recipes will state "crusting" or "non-crusting," but for those that don't...is there a way to tell just by looking at the ingredients and their amounts?

7 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_2th_fairy

There are so many recipes on CC that look very yummy, but I'm having difficulty deciphering whether the frosting will crust or not. I realize some recipes will state "crusting" or "non-crusting," but for those that don't...is there a way to tell just by looking at the ingredients and their amounts?

The best way is to make it and find out how it works.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

Just post and ask if there is a recipe (or a couple) that you're interested in trying. I know I would hate to try recipe after recipe! The key to crusting is the fat:powdered sugar ratio, but I don't know what the magic number is. I can tell you the following:

Indydebi's and Sugarshack's both crust - I've made them. icon_wink.gif

Any of the meringue buttercreams (SMBC, IMBC, FMBC) DO NOT crust.

Whimsical Bakehouse's House buttercream DOES NOT crust.

I personally am interested in the Buttercream Dream and Serious_Cakes' recipes, since I want to try some recipes with actual butter in them next...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

The key to crusting is the fat:powdered sugar ratio, but I don't know what the magic number is.

I won't say this is the magic number, but it is the guide I go by...

1 cup fat to 1 lb sugar will crust. Indy's recipe is 1 1/3 cup fat to 2lb sugar and it crusts.

If you start getting more than 1 cup fat to 1 lb sugar crusting will crust slower until it no longer crusts. The Whimsical Bakehouse's House recipe is an example of that.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 8

Thanks TexasSugar!

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8

I know it is best to "try and see for your self/experiment," but unfortunately, I don't have time right now. I do appreciate your input. Thank you for the "formula." That is so helpful!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 8

What makes a b'cream recipe crust is the ratio of fat to sugar.
The more fat (Crisco or butter) the LESS chance it will crust.
Many people say adding meringue powder is what makes it curst but that's not it at all. You can use the recipe that call for mp, leave it out & there will be little difference. Yes, it's egg whites & helps *slightly* but it's not what makes it crust.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #8 of 8

I use the buttercream dream recipe and it crusts. It tastes better than the all-shortening bc's IMO. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%