Swiss Meringue Butter Cream Crusting?

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 5:59am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 4

I use this on cupcakes all of the time as the taste and texture is heavenly, but I've seen a lot of threads on here where people are using it to decorate cakes. The experience that i've had with this butter cream is that if you put it in the fridge before serving the texture is not great as it's like eating a block of vegetable shortening, if you don't fridge it then it's a really creamy texture that doesn't crust. What recipe do you use to make it crust? at the moment the recipe I use is:

4 egg whites
250g of caster sugar
250g of unsalted butter

Heat the egg whites and sugar until the sugar dissolves and then pour into a mixer and mix until cool, once cool add the butter and keep mixing until the mixture forms medium peaks (it does split at first but then comes together after being beating. you also have to rebeat after fridging)

Do you use a different recipe completely or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Nikkei

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 4

The butter based, meringue buttercreams don't crust.

The crusting recipes refer to decorator's buttercreams that are made with shortening (white fat/Trex,Crisco) and/or butter, powdered sugar (icing sugar), flavoring, and water/milk/cream.

There are many recipes here on CC for crusting buttercreams. The taste and texture is very different from meringue buttercreams--generally sweeter & stiffer, heavier. Some people prefer it because of it's workability, customer preference, taste, and cost. Others hate it for the same reasons icon_wink.gif

Welcome!
Rae

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #3 of 4

SMBC and IMBC do not crust. You should allow any cake with a meringue-based bc to come to room temp before serving to soften the icing, and it'll taste great!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:59am
post #4 of 4

you can decorate with it, like pipe with it, even though it doesn't crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%