Boys 1St Birthday And Halloween Theme Cake?

Decorating By Shanille21 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:50am by abra526

Shanille21 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 10

My son was born Oct 27th of last year and cant wait to make his first b-day cake. i just have so many ideas i cant seem to get them straight.

i was thinking about an elmo theme but since its so close to halloween that maybe i should in corporate that some how? I saw a really cute cake with a 3dbear pan dressed as a pumpkin. maybe something like that would be cute. or his favorite teddy that also has a blanket attached . he loves that so maybe something to do with the bear.

i want to keep it cute for the first birthday but am confused if i should do the halloween thing too.?

sorry for the rambling. i would love any suggestions you all have.

TIA!
~Shannon

9 replies
BobbiA Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 10

My daughter was born on Oct 25th but she was supposed to be a Halloween baby (hubby wanted to name her Mary so we could call her Scary Mary - nice huh?) Anyhow, because it's a first birthday I would say keep it traditional - maybe put a small pumpkin on it. Once my daughter was older she then asked me to incorporate Halloween into her cakes. However, we have run into families out here who won't allow their kids to come to her b-day parties because it has a Halloween theme to it and they imply we are "celebrating Satan's b-day". (Don't even get me started!)

BobbiA Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

My daughter was born on Oct 25th but she was supposed to be a Halloween baby (hubby wanted to name her Mary so we could call her Scary Mary - nice huh?) Anyhow, because it's a first birthday I would say keep it traditional - maybe put a small pumpkin on it. Once my daughter was older she then asked me to incorporate Halloween into her cakes. However, we have run into families out here who won't allow their kids to come to her b-day parties because it has a Halloween theme to it and they imply we are "celebrating Satan's b-day". (Don't even get me started!)

BobbiA Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 10

crystalina1977 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 10

my daughters bday is oct 28th and ive never even thought of incorporating the two...i agree with the previous poster.

Shanille21 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 10

bobbiA- thats funny satans bairthday. i would never have though of it that way.

I think you and crystalina are right...im just going to keep it kid friendly and in a few years when he understadns that halloween is so close maybe he will want to incorporate it into his birthday.

Thanks for the advice!!

~Shannon [/quote]

SugarFrosted Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 10

I am unsure what you like to do... sheet or stack, buttercream or fondant. This is my favorite Halloween buttercream sheet I have done. I hope it gives you inspiration...I got the idea from the children's book Charlotte's Web.
LL

Shanille21 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #8 of 10

Thats a great cake...your lines are so perfect. I think im going to keep it as a 1st bday and as he gets older he can choose. Thansk for the inspiration...i think i will make the cake for halloween anyway!! icon_biggrin.gif

~Shannon

daisy114 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #9 of 10

I did my son's cake as a Halloween/1st bday combination.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1154626

I used orange to make it Halloween and put Elmo in a pumpkin costume. Then I gave cookie monster a bday hat.

I also made a really cute invitation that went with the whole Halloween and 1st birthday theme. If you're interested, send me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

abra526 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #10 of 10

My son will be two on halloween, and i've been trying to come up with ideas as well. He loves trains, so i'm thinking of doing a 3D train with an orange and black theme, but not necessarily something scary. For his first bday I did the 3D bear pan, and decorated it to look like a baby. It is one of the Wilton ideas. It turned out pretty cute, and everyone loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%