Update On All The Happenings..

Business By loriemoms Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm by sweettoothmom

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 15

Remember how I told you guys about this little bakery that I have been watching and now it is available? Anyway, so much has happened since I posted about it...so I thought I would fill you in, as I am a nervous wreck!

We went inside and look at the space..it was very nice, and is a great location, but luckilly we looked on a friday evening. There is a sports bar near by and the parking lot is shared with it. There was no parking at all available and people were sitting on their cars talking and such. I couldn't image what it would be like trying to get friday afternoon deliveries together...but I thought ok, will over look that. Then we got to talking to the owner and it turns out there is some legal battles between him and the former leasee and I told my DH that I was alittle afraid of that. But the clincher was that the owner wanted us to decide like right then and there because he had someone else looking at it which was a retail space and he really would like another bakery but blah blah blah. Too much pressure for me!!

Earlier that day though we had looked at another space that my DH had found. It is alittle smaller, but just as cute...its next door to a photographer which is terrific! We got a little tour and the price is right and would require very little to get it into what we want.

Except right now my cash flow is a mess because my DH was laid off for six months and more money from the bakery went into paying household stuff then going back into the pot as profit..he has a job now, but we are still playing catchup as my little "nest egg" that I keep for the quiet months of Dec, Jan and Feb is almost gone. Right now, banks aren't loaning anyone anything, but we are dusting off our business plan and putting some real numbers in from this past year. We spoke with Score and the guy's mouth litterally dropped when we told him our cash flow..he said that it was amazing how well we have done for a home bakery especailly during these hard times, and thinks we won't have any problems getting a loan. I somehow doubt that as I just know too many people who can't get loans. And even if we do get a loan, I am so scared of having to pay off that kind of money and be 'stuck' with paying rent and all those kinds of things. Its very exciting (as I KNOW this will put me on the map..) but i am SCARED SH*Tless! (excuse my french) How do you guys do this?

ARGGGG! (and I hate banks. I hate waiting. I hate all of this!) THis would be such good timing because I could get it all together before my busy march starts. ALthough I hope next year is as good as this year was!!! I am getting lots of consultations but I raised my prices this year and instead of getting 99 percent of bookings I am getting 85% The Score guy says that is still great, that if you get 99 percent your prices are too low.

If I live till March or will I be on the 6oclock news being carried out in a paddy wagon?

14 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 15

Hang on!!! I really hope everything works out very good for you!!!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 15

Thanx for sharing the update. This is so exciting! That first place sounded very fishy and that is a high pressure tactic obviously to try to make you "decide right then". Heck no, good for you walking away.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #4 of 15

Boy, the first place sounded like a nightmare. I am so glad you didn't get trapped into it.
The second one sounds wonderful. You are going to do just fine. You are already a great business woman. You just are taking things up to the next step.
Congratulations.

-Debbie B.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 15

i HATE banks too!
good luck!
have you ever looked into prosper.com?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:32am
post #6 of 15

Next to a photographer! icon_surprised.gif Wow! Whatta break! Brides tend to book their church, their reception site and their photographer, in that order. What a great referral buddy you will have! Be sure to keep him stocked with your "overbakes"!! thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 15

thanks for all the words of encouragement!!! (now i Just need someone to tell me "Walk Away..just walk away!" from that chocolate!!)

Yeah, that first guy was awfully fishy. I know I will watch that shop and see if someone really does move in right away! haha!

Deb: Not only is there a photographer next door, but there is a stationary shop opening three doors down where they are going to do invitations (the photographer attracted them too) and wedding favors. The owner told me he thinks the little strip mall will become Wedding Central! hahaha!

My DH made me draw up a drawing of how I wanted to do the front room. (right now they have like coffee there and things like that, which I am not planning on doing) I drew up a really pretty bridal room, for consultations So now I am even more nervous.

But money isn't everything, right? So we end up living in a cardboard box...we can live in cake scraps.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 15

Lorie-That is great news! I'm sure that you will do great.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 15

"But money isn't everything, right? So we end up living in a cardboard box...we can live in cake scraps."

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, that's what i do!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 15

I know what you mean about banks, they all want to lend you money when you don't need it anymore. This second place sounds absolutely wonderful and just about perfect. I wish you all the luck.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Deb: Not only is there a photographer next door, but there is a stationary shop opening three doors down where they are going to do invitations (the photographer attracted them too) and wedding favors. The owner told me he thinks the little strip mall will become Wedding Central! hahaha!

You will be creating your very own "Wedding district in your town" I would market the heck out of that woth help of your co-wedding professionals.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

You will be creating your very own "Wedding district in your town" I would market the heck out of that woth help of your co-wedding professionals.

A Wedding District would be very exciting to be a part of. icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

sweettoothmom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 15

You could plan a sidewalk sale of sorts with a bridal fair block party type of atmosphere some closer to the season. Although Fall is a big time for weddings nowdays.

Could be a fun grand opening event too. Be bold if you believe in yourself so will others. You can do it. Your cakes are gorgeous

loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 15

hahaha! I LOVE you guys! The Downtown Wedding District. Man that would be cool!

sweettoothmom Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #15 of 15

You gotta have dreams, they keep you reaching higher and higher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%