Help Asap!!! Quick Way To Seperate Eggs?

Baking By nisha_ru Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:30am by KoryAK

nisha_ru Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 8

I don't have an egg separator, and no where in town sells one.
Other than breaking the egg and pouring the whites out, is there a quick way to separate eggs?

I'm making a big batch of SMBC for a wedding cake...
Help please!!!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 8

I just crack the egg in half, pour out the half with no yolk, and then use the empty half to catch the yolk while pouring out the other half. It sounds weird but it's easy...the only time I've lost a yolk that I can remember at all was one egg that had a double yolk.

The easiest way to do it is to buy a carton of egg whites. I've used them before and they work just fine. It was about two dollars for 8 egg whites.

nisha_ru Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I just crack the egg in half, pour out the half with no yolk, and then use the empty half to catch the yolk while pouring out the other half. It sounds weird but it's easy...the only time I've lost a yolk that I can remember at all was one egg that had a double yolk.

The easiest way to do it is to buy a carton of egg whites. I've used them before and they work just fine. It was about two dollars for 8 egg whites.

That's how I've been doing it. Just thought I'd see if there was some trick that I hadn't tried yet!
There is NO place in my little town that sells egg whites icon_sad.gif I have looked all over the place, and there is no where close to shop that might. That would save me TONS of time!

KoryAK Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 8

You also have to be very careful when buying just the whites, only some brands will whip. I crack all my eggs out into one big bowl, the reach in a pull out all the yolk and put in a separate bowl. The end. really fast and easy (and we separate hundreds of eggs a week). Egg separators take forever and doing the shell shuffle is really dangerous in regards to yolk breaking - those are sharp edges. Also it takes too long. I can pull my yolks out 2 at a time. I won't tell you what that feels like lol icon_wink.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8

Eeew! I just threw up a little. icon_lol.gif

nisha_ru Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

You also have to be very careful when buying just the whites, only some brands will whip. I crack all my eggs out into one big bowl, the reach in a pull out all the yolk and put in a separate bowl. The end. really fast and easy (and we separate hundreds of eggs a week). Egg separators take forever and doing the shell shuffle is really dangerous in regards to yolk breaking - those are sharp edges. Also it takes too long. I can pull my yolks out 2 at a time. I won't tell you what that feels like lol icon_wink.gif

Do you have problems with the yolks breaking? I know the few times I've had to spoon them out, I worry about that!

kyhendry Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #7 of 8

I separate my eggs in my hands. I dump the egg into my cupped hand and the whites fall thru my fingers and the yolk stays. It's fast and I personally haven't had a yolk break yet. I had to do hundreds of eggs during my culinary schooling and this is how they showed us to do it and it's fast. I like the trick about putting them in a bowl and pulling them out one by one also.

Good luck.

KoryAK Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 8

Yep, either way kyhendry.

nisha_ru: sometimes the yolks do break. I try to separate them when cold and crack them carefully of course to try to avoid this. You definitely need to pull all that yolk out. My assistant used to only do 5 or so at a time in a separate bowl so that if there was a major disaster it wouldn't ruin too many.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%