Gumballs And Wire

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm by SugarBakerz

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas/tips/suggestions on how I can attach gumballs to floral wire? I want to use it is a whimsy topper on a cake this weekend. I figure just poking it through the gumball wouldn't hold it up. Any pointers?

3 replies
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 4

When you say you figure just poking it through the gumball wouldn't hold it up, I assume you donât want it at the end of the wire. What if you put a small loop, kink, or knot in the wire. Drill or poke a hole, the size of the wire all the way through the gumball. Then enlarge the hole on the bottom side just big enough for the knot to go inside. That way the knot will sit inside the hollow gumball, but smaller hole on the opposite side wonât allow it to slide down.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 4

Try heating the tip of the wire in a candle flame and pushing it through the gumball. You might want to take a pin and "pre drill" a hole in the gumball. But the heat from the wire should melt the sugar and cause it to bond with the wire. I make GP flower centers this way.

It's smelly and you might burn a finger or two occasionally.

Use a 20 or 22 gauge wire.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 4

thanks to you both. I used the suggestion jules made about heating up the wire and sliding into the gumball. Cake is complete and now in my gallery! Fun cake, thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%