First Sheet Cake- Any Advice??

Decorating By Ecope Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:42am by mommyle

Ecope Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys!

I'm doing my first sheet cake this coming weekend, and it's very brand new to me. Any advice? Also, does anyone have a recipe for really good chocolate buttercream??

THANKS!!

11 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 12

A sheet cake is no difference than any other cake. Not sure what you want to kn ow.
Make sure your board is big enough for the cake. What size are you making?
What recipe do you use for your white/vanilla b'cream? Most people just add about 1/2 cup UNsweetened cocoa powder to that.

Ecope Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks so much!
I'm using i believe the 12 x 18 wilton pan.
I've only used the Wilton buttercream recipe for class before, but definitely don't like it.
I was thinking of useing the Buttercream dream recipe that I found on here but not sure if that's a crusting buttercream.
Thanks so much!

kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #4 of 12

Sorry I didn't get b ack to you sooner. I was decorating a cakeicon_smile.gif
I can't remember if I have ever used that recipe so I can't say if it crusts or not.
Using your Wilton recipe - use 1/2 butter & 1/2 Crisco; double the vanilla; a generous dash of salt; and use cream for the liquid - it helps a lots icon_smile.gif

That size cake *just* fits on what is sold as a 1/2 sheet board. You will have very little room for borders icon_sad.gif

Ecope Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 12

Yes! I saw that sheet board and that's the one I have unfortuantely. What do you use as a board? I hope this goes smoothly icon_smile.gif
Also, I was wondering- have you used the WASC for a sheet cake? What filling do you use?
Thanks so much!!

kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 12

........have you used the WASC for a sheet cake? What filling do you use? ...

Hehehe....I was the one who came up with the WASC recipeicon_smile.gif
Typically, a sheet cake is 2" deep and you don't use filling but nothing says you can't. JUst torte (slice into 2 pieces); make a dam of icing (a line w/tip 12) and put the filling on....not too thick - don't go above the dam line. As for what to use....depends on the flavor of the cake and/or yuour likingsicon_smile.gif I have used: bavarian creme; jams; puddings; fresh fruit; and so much more.

As for the sheet board, I use a sm aller size panicon_smile.gif
You will just barely have room to make a small border....make it more on the side of the cake than on the board.

jpcs Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 12

Unfortunately, I bought the same size sheet cake pan from Michael's years ago, and it doesn't fit that cake board. I go to a local cake supply store and they have full sheet cake boards that I just trim down in size. I usually double or triple the boards to support the cake. Then, I just foil wrap the boards to make it look nice.

Just like any cake, you can use any filling. I personally love to do sheet cakes because they are less time consuming and stressful! Just do a nice big border around the cake and center your wording/design. Good luck and have fun!

jpcs Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 12

Unfortunately, I bought the same size sheet cake pan from Michael's years ago, and it doesn't fit that cake board. I go to a local cake supply store and they have full sheet cake boards that I just trim down in size. I usually double or triple the boards to support the cake. Then, I just foil wrap the boards to make it look nice.

Just like any cake, you can use any filling. I personally love to do sheet cakes because they are less time consuming and stressful! Just do a nice big border around the cake and center your wording/design. Good luck and have fun!

Ecope Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 12

Oh awesome! I cannot wait to try out the recipe. The hubby has requested a raspberry filling, so I'm debating between raspberry cream cheese with a chocolate buttercream, or a raspberry cream frosting with the buttercream- or maybe even ganache? Any ideas would help!
Also, I was under the impression that the 12 x 18 was a half sheet. Is it a full sheet then?? Hmmm... maybe I'll look for another cake board and return the one I have over at Michael's. I hope I kept the receipt. Oh- I have another question. For sheet cakes- is there usually no filling, and instead of torting- do I make 2 sheet cakes??
I would not even know the first thing to do about torting this as I only have the small Wilton leveler with the wire.

Thanks again everyone!!
You guys are great!!

kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #10 of 12

There are some 3 or 4 sizes of pans that people call a 1/2 sheet icon_sad.gif Same w/1/4s.

Raspeberry goes very well w/WASC cakeicon_smile.gif
I use it straight....don't mix w/icing or cream; but you can if you like it that way.
Since you don';t know how to torte, if you want to fill the cake, you can use the injection method.
Using a large round tip (#6 or bigger), fill a bag w/the raspberry; stick the tip into the cake amd squeeze some. Do this about every 2". That's better than trying to torte it this time. You can learn that latericon_smile.gif
I hope by now you have obtained a lg'r board.....cutting down a full sheet is great. It just will not fit into a box.
OR you can go to Michael's and get a sheet of foamcore board (it's w/the poster board & other art stuff) Find the thickest one they have (I think it's 1/2"), and cut it down. Always cover your boards w/freezer paper or foil.

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #11 of 12

I always bake 2 sheet cakes so I can have filling w/out torting. I also like having a 4" tall cake. For my choc buttercream, I add 3 squares of unsweetened bakers chocolate per batch of my reg buttercream. It's a little more costly, but delicious!

mommyle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #12 of 12

Hi there.
Invest in Core-plast. Plastic Cardboard. You can get it at the hardware store in a HUGE sheet. You can cut it with an exacto-knife to any size you want. Fairly sturdy stuff. cover it in whatever. I make boxes with it and all. The other thing you can do is get a 1/2" thick piece of foam board at Michael's. More expensive, but worth it.
I HATE the Wilton recipe. More butter is better. All butter is the best, but it is expensive, compared to Crisco. If I am making a 3 cup recipe of buttercream, I substitute out 1/2 cup of PS for cocoa.
The MOST important thing is to have the VERY large cooling rack that entirely fits your 12 x 18. I learned that the hard way. Oh, and use baking strips. No core needed, just the baking strips.
Good luck.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%