I Need All Of Your Tricks!

Lounge By Winter1979 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm by shelbur10

Winter1979 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 9

That is weight loss tricks - I just can't seem to lose the weight. I have pretty much always been overweight (by 15-20 lbs). In between my two children I actually got within 5 lbs of my target weight, I got pregnant when my oldest was about 2 1/2, and had a miscarriage. I blamed it on the fact that I ran for an hour every night, even though my doctor said that was probably not the reason. I just had it stuck in my head that was the problem, so when I got pregnant again, I did nothing (I know bad idea). Now I just cannot seem to get off of my butt to exercise and make myself eat decent. I now stay at home with my children and have for the past year and a half. I eat when I'm not hungry, I eat stuff that isn't good for me and the more I tell myself that I will do better the worse I do. I am now to the point where I am tired all of the time, have no ambition and have recently had problems with my right lower leg and right hand going numb - ALOT. You would think that this would be a good push for me to do something, but I just can't seem to make myself. I love to bake, but love to eat it more - I just can't seem to stop.

Sorry this is long - but does anyone have any tricks that worked for them? I need to do something as my lack of energy is starting to affect my family.

TIA

8 replies
sarahpierce Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 9

Get your family involved! My DH helped me so much to lose weight after my last child was born. We cooked healthy meals together, and exercised together. He was extreamley supportive. We also had a lot of fun doing it.
I ended up losing all the weight from my 2nd child, and the weight from my 1st! Keep in mind they're 7 years apart! There is no way I could of done it without him. I was able to raise my metabalism and maintain my weight. I don't even diet anymore. I do have a cut off point though. There is a certain weight I will never allow myself to reach, and if I get close to it again I work my butt off to lose it again. Through all of this my DH reminded me that I'm beautiful no matter what I look like, and he would still love me even if I weighed 300 pounds. icon_biggrin.gif

CambriasCakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think there really are any tricks...you just have to be emotionally ready to do it. I gained a lot of weight after I had my girls and quit working to stay home with them. I would lose a little here and there but I always gained it back and then some! I finally got to a point (and weight) that was completely unacceptable to me. I couldn't stand to look in the mirror, I felt like crap and my self-esteem was nil.

I decided I'm not getting any younger, it's not going to get any easier to lose weight the older I get and what the heck was I waiting for? So I completely changed my diet. Tons of water, fresh fruits and vegetables, not so much red meat but plenty of fish and grilled chicken or even going meatless sometimes, which, for me is crazy! I also cut out most sweets, late night snacking and processed food. I've lost 15 pounds since June. So it won't happen over night but it will happen. I don't excercise everyday...because I hate it but I try to get in a walk a few times a week. I will try harder to get in more exercise though.

I can't tell you how good, physically and emotionally I feel! I was just so tired of putting junk into my body! But you shouldn't deprive yourself of things you like either. You just have to have the right portion sizes...everything in moderation. Good luck to you - you can do it! If I can....ANYONE CAN!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

There are several weight lose support threads on here active at the moment.

One is the Chunky Monkey's thread and the other is Putting Down The Cake Club. Both are in the Lobby section. There is also another one from a couple of years ago, that had alot of great information on it as well.

It sounds like you are aware of some of the things that you need to work on, unfortunetly you have to find the motivation to change them. We can all make suggestion and give you ideas, but I bet many of the things we say are things you already said to yourself or here.

My first suggestion is get the bad for you food out of the house. If it is not there, you can not eat it. Second, get moving, even if you just go walking around the block once, dance with your kids in the living room, or play a game of chase with them. Any thing you can do to get up and get moving will help you lose weight. Third, would be don't beat yourself up. We all have our weak moments, our bad days. You just have to pick yourself up and move on to the next one instead of going back to bad habits.

Two things to keep in mind....

1. You did not gain weight over night or over a week period. It took you time/years to get to the weight you are now and it will take you time to get to the weight you want to be at. Time and hard work.

2. I've read that it takes 3 weeks to change/add a habit, be it bad or good. So please understand that it will take time to adjust into a new eating/exercise life style, and you will have slip ups on that journey. And even after you meet your goal you will still have to work to keep it up.

Here is a link to the Chunky Monkey thread where I wrote out a long post about my suggestions, things that worked for me to lose 25lbs 2 years ago.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=596177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

If that doesn't take you to the right page, my post is towards the bottom of the 5th page.

Good luck!

michellenj Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 9

I've been doing Weight Watchers for a little over a year now. It really has changed the way that I eat, exercise, and THINK about food. For example-I can eat 1 slice of cake, or 12! CUPS of grapes. Or, I can eat that brownie, but the brownie= 4 miles that I have to run. You can eat as much good stuffas you want (broccoli, salad w/ straight vinegar, etc) but you really can eat whatever you want if you're on the Flex plan, you just have to account for your points.

One trick of mine is to eat plain oatmeal whenever I want to eat something bad, and if I still want to eat that bad thing after eating the oatmeal I will, but usually I don't feel like eating anything else after oatmeal and a glass of water!

mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

You also need to build muscle. Muscle burns fat so it really helps to lift weights. You can do that while watching a show. It only takes 10 minutes. Just get some bar bells that you think you are able to lift and start. Once you have done it a while your body will start to crave it. (gatta love those endorphans
It only takes 100 less calories a day to lose weight. (according to DR. OZ) That is not hard to do when you think about it.
Of course cardio is good too but unless you gain muscle you will never get truly skinny.
Also, it sounds like you might be depressed as well. I know when I finally admitted to my depression and got help it was much easier to lose weight.
HTH
Jen...

michellenj Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 9

You must burn or reduce your intake of food by 3500 calories per week to lose 1 pound, which equals 500 cal./day. I'm not sure what Dr. Oz is talking about there.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

You must burn or reduce your intake of food by 3500 calories per week to lose 1 pound, which equals 500 cal./day. I'm not sure what Dr. Oz is talking about there.

You have to remember everything we do burns calories. Breathing, walking, cleaning, eating it all burns calories.

Yes it takes 3500 Calories to make a lb, but if you decrease your intake but even a small amount and add exercise to your list of activities you will lose weight.

If you eat 100 calories less a day, and add in an acitivity that burns more calories you can lose weight with out deprieving yourself 500 calories a day. I walk two miles a day, which according to the treadmill I usually burn 240-250 calories when I do. I'm also watching what I eat. So if I am eating less and burning more calories it all adds up.

Not sure sure Dr. Oz said it would be a pound a week, maybe he just meant over time. To me that would be the same as saying if you stop drinking cokes you can lose weight. It doesn't mean the day you quit you lose it, but over time it will add up.

Please remember your body needs at least 1200 calories a day. If you eat less it thinks you are starving it (and you are) and it will hold on to the fat instead of letting you burn it.

shelbur10 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 9

For me, I just had to get a little hard on myself. For almost 2 years, I had some health issues, I was on meds that made me gain weight, and we had some serious family issues happening. During that time I gained 60+ pounds. I kept telling myself, I can't exercise because of my health (I really couldn't), I'll lose weight when this is over or when that is done.
Finally, I just stopped making excuses. Whenever I catch myself thinking "oh well I won't work out today because of..." I stop myself. If I don't work out it's because I don't really truly want to that day. If I'm willing to own that, then no big deal. If I still need that excuse then I get off my behind and do my workout and I NEVER regret it.
It sounds harsher than it really is, and I don't guess it would work for everyone, but it's working like gangbusters so far. I only have about 25 lbs to go.
Good luck, whatever you do. Don't be too hard on yourself. When you love who you are inside it makes you want to take better care of the outside. So don't ignore the inside, that's the part of you that really matters!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%