Pastiallge

Decorating By sweettoothmom Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm by tirby

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

I recently found and used a recipe for Pastiallge. It has taken more than 3 days with a fan directly blowing on it and it is still not dry.
The recipe stated I should prep it 2-3 days in advance to allow to dry. I rolled it to the exact thickness etc and we have not had humid weather so I am afraid maybe it just needs longer than what the recipe reccomnded. Has anyone had any experiences with Pastiallge that they can share insight on rolling drying forming etc.....

7 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

Does your recipe have anything more besides sugar, gelatin and water?
If it does, that's probably the problem icon_sad.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 8

I've only worked with homemade gumpaste and Wilton's premade gumpaste and fondant.
Here's a bump

Jibbies

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 8

what was the recipe? pastiallage is just fondant and gumpaste/CMC/tylose and should dry very hard very quickly and isn't used in much for that very reason. did you use enought gumpaste/tylose/CMC? remebering you must double the amount in a reciepe if you are replacing gumpaste with either tylose or CMC? your problem should be it drying to quick not the other way around so i would check your recipe and compare it to others to see if its right. I have stavks of books and have worked out which methods and ratios do and don't work from each book it is quite annoying when you have a book telling yhou to make something and its not right (maybe in relation to the area it was written and a difference in ingredients from country to country etc?)

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 8

The pastillaje I use, is just water (very little), gelatin and sugar. It gets bone stiff.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 8

I use a Martha Stewart recipe..and mine drys too fast. I often mix with fondant to give me a little more time to work with it.

I think it also has egg whites in it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

pastiallage is just fondant and gumpaste/CMC/tylose

Actually this isn't true. Pastillage is it's own thing. There are many variations, but the recipe I use (that I learned in culinary school) contains, powdered sugar, corn starch, gelatin and white vinegar. It's ridiculously strong, and also starts drying immediately when airs hits it. Depending on thickness it can take 2-3 days to dry thoroughly (I usually flip my pieces after the first day).

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 8

I am looking to find the how to work wit this stuff. do I roll it out with cornstarch?? I need to make a Box Lid
And any homemade recipe would be appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%