Debbie Meyer Green Bags

Lounge By kansaslaura Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm by koolaidstains

kansaslaura Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 10

Don't waste your money~~~~

I bought them thinking what a great idea to extend the life of the fruits and veggies my trucker hubby takes on the road with him. I make all his meals and then stock him up on fresh things to munch on.

I bought 2 bunches of bananas -- took the Green Bags out of the pantry, read the "instructions" *how tough could putting some fruit in a bag be, but... I wanted to be sure I did it according to ole Deb* The bananas started to turn by the next morning! These were still green tipped when I brought them home! The ones on the counter still look good 3 days later.

Maybe they should be called Compose Bags...

9 replies
s_barnes76 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:35am
post #2 of 10

First, a funny story. I had bought some strawberries one day and by the next morning, a couple already had mold on them. DD, who is four, looked at them and said "You should buy some green bags for those strawberries" I thought that was hilarious...she pays a lot of attention to commercials! I always wondered how well those worked (sorry you had to find out the hard way) The one that always got me was the lettuce. I've had lettuce in a regular ziploc back for 3 or 4 weeks and it never turned. I've never seen any look like what they show. I learned the hard way about Space Bags. They were good to an extent, but DH was putting something in one and his knuckle ripped a hole right down the middle, rendering it useless. We slapped some good 'ole duct tape on it, but that didn't help. Live and learn I guess.....

Suzycakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #3 of 10

My local television news station has a segment called "Does It Work Wednesday" and each week the anchor gal tests a popular product. The Green Bags failed with a great big F!!

Sorry this happened -- I know how frustrating it is to try to buy supplies and prepare food for lunches only to have something spoil on you rapidly!

michellenj Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

If you go to Good Morning America's site, they might still have information on many "As seen on TV" products. The agreed w/ the PO-the green bags were not much help. All of their reviews were interesting, but I cannot for the life of me remember what they were now. icon_confused.gif

That Ronco rotisserie oven infomercial used to make me want to order it every time I saw it!

shooterstrigger Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 10

I have the Ronco rotessori and I love it!

veejaytx Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #6 of 10

My DB and SIL swear that the "Lock and Lock" containers (sold on QVC.com, and sometimes I see a few pieces at Walmart) work like a charm to make produce last longer.

I haven't bought any of it myself, but would love to. Might help with keeping your DH's
food fresh.

emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10

I usually wait until someone else has used a product before spending money on it, but DH gets sold 75% of the time, lol.

One thing he did buy that really does work (at least for sliced cucumbers) is the Rubbermaid Produce Saver: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd280020.

I used to just slice cucumbers and place them in a baggie (for my salads), but after a day or two they were soggy and just slimey. Using that, they are still crisp and juicy for over a week. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #8 of 10

I used to sell Tupperware and they've got a line that works great for produce. I read about the Green Bags and they claimed to work on the same principle as Tupperware's Fridgesmarts. Since DH has a limited amount of space I decided to give the bags a try. I usually never bite on this kind of stuff icon_redface.gif lol

DianeLM Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 10

I have to admit, the green bags weren't all they were cracked up to be, but I still love them for some items.

First, berries last at least 5 times longer in the green bags. I buy a pint of blueberries and throw a handful into my cereal every morning for about two weeks.

For bananas, I had a problem until I thought to put the bananas back on the hanger (that I always used before the green bags) and just slid a green bag up around the bunch. The bag wasn't closed at the top, but the hanging bunch of bananas stayed yellow several days longer than without the bags.

I find that if I keep the inside of the bag dry, stuff stays fresher longer. It's worth it to go in periodically and wipe out any moisture accumulation rather than tossing out the food.

koolaidstains Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 10

I've been thinking about getting the green bags too LOL. Does anyone remember the produce bags that either ziploc or glad use to sell? They were regular ziploc bags, but they had a bunch of micro holes through the bag. They were AWESOME!!! But, apparantly didn't sell well because they weren't around long. Along those lines, you can take a regular ziploc and poke some holes in it and keep veggies longer. It keeps some moisture in, but keeps it from getting soggy. Never tried anything for fruit. I do have one of the rubbermaid produce containers which seems to be the same idea, but it takes up a lot of space compared to a bag.

When we remodel our kitchen I really want a seperate under the counter fridge that I can use just for fruit so I can keep it cool, but not cold.

LOL - I just thought of a funny. We have a vacuum sealer - love it. Don't ever do potatoes. I vacuum sealed some potatoes before reading the part of the directions that said not too! Talk about NASTY. After a couple of days the bag had puffed out from all the gas and when we opened th bag to dump it (should have just dumped it in the bag) I about passed out it was so rank.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%