Freezing Cakes

Decorating By kaabruur19 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm by cylstrial

kaabruur19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaabruur19 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 4

Im making a cake for my daughters birthday on sunday, and i want to make it as easy as possible as im working all week. I want to bake the cakes tomorrow and freeze them, but i want to know the BEST way to do it so they wont be soggy or hard. If someone could kindly give me directions on how/what to wrap them, how to defrost/how long, that would be great!

3 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 4

I freeze almost all of my cakes and have never had one dry out. After removing from the pan I let it cool a few minutes then wrap in 2 layers of saran wrap (one each direction so there are no open holes) and then wrap with foil. I've left them in the freezer for over a month and they were still very good. I had someone tell me they love my cakes because everyone else freezes theirs and they aren't fresh. She couldn't believe it when I told her she was eating a frozen cake. I take it out of the freezer the night before I want to use it and just sit it on the counter. I also level the cake before freezing so it's ready to go when it's thawed. If you're going to be carving it I would do that while still frozen. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

Yep I agree w/tiggy2 icon_smile.gif
For that short of time.....a couple of days.... I usuall,y just put my cake layers in a plastic bag.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 4

I actually just baked and froze several cakes last week. I only had them in the freezer for 2 days..but I put them in 2 layers of plastic (each way as tiggy said so that there would be no holes) and then i put them in foil. They were so moist and delicious! It worked out well. I did use a moistening syrup to make sure because I took them out of the freezer on Thursday evening for a Saturday party. So it sat out for a day and a half and was still moist and delicious! Goodluck!

Just make sure you give them plenty of time to defrost. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%