Topsy Turvy

Decorating By srodts Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm by shannon100

srodts Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I think I need a little help with a denser cake. I made my first topsy turvy cake this weekend and the cake was to heavy for the texture. (please hang in there with me im not sure how to explain this icon_redface.gif ) I used 3 each 10, 8, and 6 in cakes with bc in between, and decorated all in bc with fondant accents. Well the bottom of each size started out to be 2in cake and by the time we cut it ended up being about 1/2in icon_cry.gif So you can imagine what that did to the frosting on the outside of the cake. Can anyone tell me what kind of cake to use that taste good and is moist but can still hold up to stacking 3 layers on top of each other and not smash?
TIA

5 replies
lamcf120 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 6

You can use really any type of cake. I've use several different ones from box to scratch. The key is that you have to use one layer of each size. Let me see if I can explain. I've done them using the following:

12, 10, 9
9, 8, 7
7,6, 5

The the base cake is the 12, 10, 9 with the 9 on the bottom and the 12 on the top. Here is a place to get a good instructions and with picutres.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71115&pid=969488&st=0

srodts Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you lamcf120! A combanation of that and the other TT instruction on CC is what I went with for my construction I just didnt have all the pans to do the different sizes and the other TT instruction said to use 3 of each size so I did and my cake is not strong enough to hold all 3 layers.

lamcf120 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

Hum..... Did you freeze it before you carved it? I do this:

I take the first section the 12, 11, 10 and stack the 10 on top of the 11 the right side up (so the 11 is on the bottom, and the 10 is on top). Then I cut the 12" at the angle and get the slant. Flip the 11 and 10 back over so the 10 is on the bottom and place the 12" on top of the 11". Very carefully, place it in the freeze until almost frozen, remove and carve into the shape. If cake thaws too much, place back in freezer to hardend up and then crumb coat it. Place in fridge until BC icing is hard and then frost again. Repeat steps on each section.

I've use Betty Crocker and as long as you don't have air holes or tunnels you shouldn't have any problem stacking them. Each cake should only be about an 1 1/2 inches in height. Also, make sure you level them before doing any stacking.

Hope this helps.

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 6

CCers Rock!!! I would NEVER have thought I'd attempt a topsy turvy cake, but all the info you folks have shared has inspired me! The next time I have enough time and money to try this I am soooo taking it on!

Thanks everyone for sharing your secrets! I know I'm not the only one who's been inspired and encouraged here icon_smile.gif

shannon100 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 6

I just did my 2nd TT cake this weekend, and my layers within each tier were all the same size (8", 6", and 4" tiers for the first cake and 8" and 6" for the 2nd cake.) I had the sinking problem with my 2nd, and then I realized that I forgot to put dowels in the bottom tier before I put my top tier on! oops!! It still looked great. I stacked it only about 2 hours before it was cut, so it didn't mess up the frosting (all BC), but I could definitely notice that it was shorter (but no one else did.)

I also added a box of pudding mix to my cake mix. Last time I did the "Enhanced mix recipe" on this site. Either option seemed to make the cake more dense and able to withstand the pressure (as long as dowels were used!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%