Using An Approved Kitchen And Remodling Cost.

Business By lamcf120 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm by CNCS

lamcf120 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 7

Good Morning All,

I'm in the process of actually seeing if I can do a cake busniess as a business vs the side business that I currently have. I have contact all my local authorites to see if I'm allowed to do it in my home (Maryland) and the answer was yes. They did however suggest that I might want to save myself the cost and look at a local church or fire house to use their "approved" kitchen. They said I would have to work out the deal with the place and I would just let the health dept know where I was going to be working out of and they would licence me for that place.

First Question: How does the health dept. know that I'm using that kitchen, could I just get licenced and still use my home kitchen? Is there anyone out there that does that?

I also had a contractor come out my house to give me an estimate to convert a portion of my basement into a commerical kitchen. The space is maybe 250 sq. feet. I already have plumbing there, all I'm looking for was framing, drywall, electraical, minor plumbing and 3 doors.

Second Question: The estimate was $14,000, does that seem high?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

The health department will periodically inspect your 'approved kitchen' and the owner of the kitchen may be questioned about your usage. I would not take the risk.

$14,000 does not seem to high. (Be sure you can get in and out with a large cake board in your hands.)

the advantage of the home kitchen is that you don't have to schlep all your stuff back and forth, and you can bake or stop at your convenience.

I probably don't work enough to 'earn' my kitchen, but I don't regret a single dollar.

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 7

Does the price include all the inspection fees and such? If you want to save money, you might be able to find someone who frame it all for you and hang the drywall, but let you do the taping and the painting. I know when we wanted to finish our attic (not for bakery, but just a media room) we had to have every little step inspected..electric, HVAC, etc. Once all of that is done, we could do the rest ourselves. Saves a lot!

What really gets expensive is the stove and sinks and mop sinks and grease traps,etc etc etc!!!

I agree though, make sure you can get the cakes up the stairs!

stephaniescakenj Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

I don't have any advice for you unfortunately, but I always wondered the same thing... How do they know I'm actually using an approved kitchen vs. my home kitchen. I suppose if you just did the bulk of it at the approved kitchen or maybe at least one a week, they would never know the difference. so for example, you have 5 cake orders for saturday, you make one at the approved kitchen so the owner can say, yes she was here and then make the rest at home. Unless they have spies... PI's snapping shots of you coming out of your house with a wedding cake : )

CNCS Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 7

Dont risk it. That is a fair price to finish out a commercial kitchen I got mine done last year it ran about 45,000.

shaloop Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 7

[quote="lamcf120"] The space is maybe 250 sq. feet. I already have plumbing there, all I'm looking for was framing, drywall, electraical, minor plumbing and 3 doors.

Second Question: The estimate was $14,000, does that seem high?
quote]

I had quotes done earlier in the year on a 350 sf building and it would have been $11,000 not counting any equipment.

CNCS Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 7

I started from the ground up. We had a half court basketball slab and decided to use it for my shop.

New concrete, plumbing, walls, sheetrock, we did the insulation, got the cabinets at a local lumber supply and painted them white. Had the lumber yard measure for cabinets and order them they also put them in.

Has a full bath incase I ever decide to quit cooking. Doubt it. Hubby thinks he can rent for an apartment some years from now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%