Did Ur Vanilla Beans Dry Out??

Decorating By umabdurrahman Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm by FrostinGal

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

i have almost 3doz beans and they dried out HARD. i couldn't bear to throw them away so i tried to find a way to save them. i soaked one in water, didn't work and i don't think that would've been a good idea. so i put them all in a canning jar with a new piece of bread. and changed the bread when it got dried out. it took a couple of weeks but they are like new! nice....soft....YEAH!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

Good save!
Good to know! I keep my beans in double zipper bags with the air pushed out and haven't had a problem, yet. But I did save some scraped pods to make vanilla sugar and forgot to put them into the container with sugar and they were hard and crispy. I put them into the sugar, anyway, and they are still aromatic. Otherwise I was going to put them into some good vodka and make vanilla vodka.
Where do you get yours from? I found a great supplier on eBay for organic beans, really inexpensive!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

great idea with the bread
i never would have thought of that. Filing that one away in my brain.

frostingal, care to share who on ebay you get them from??

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 5

i got my organic ones from amazon icon_smile.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

No problem, Auryn! My supplier is organic-vanilla on eBay. http://myworld.ebay.com/organic-vanilla/
With their prices I can afford to use real vanilla all the time, unless it is for an item in which the seeds wouldn't be appetizing or inappropriate. Usually only some decorated cakes and my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%