Sps- Do You Only Use A Cardboard Round Under Each Cake?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 2:08am by leah_s

Lori2240 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 18

When assembling a cake with SPS, Do you only use a standard cardboard round (or square or whatever) underneath each cake? If I use something thicker it probably wont work with the plate, right? Sorry for the dumb question, Ive just never used it before. Has anyone ever assembled an SPS cake on site or always before delivery? Thanks!!!

17 replies
kjt Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 18

Just a cardboard round ( DON"T forget to poke a hole in it). Do you have Leah's instructions? I LOVE this system-just used it last weekend for the first time, haven't had a chance tp post a pic yet, but the SPS rocks!

Lori2240 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 18

Yes, she sent me the instructions. I am excited to use it. Did you have any issues doing it for the first time? Did you assemble it there or before transport? THanks!!!

kjt Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 18

Nope, no issues. I even forgot to smear BC on top of the first plate, and there was NO sliding. The only thing, (and it's a small thing), I noticed is that I had to use a slightly heavier border to completely hide the plates. I have to travel down an uneven gravel road, so I always assemble on site-not this time! I think it would defeat the purpose of this system to try to assemble on site icon_rolleyes.gif . I left the top tier off, but the other three made the 60 mile journey perfectly-the cake even feels more sturdy-if that makes sense! How big is your cake, and how far will you travel to deliver?

amycake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 18

not to sound dumb, but what is the SPS system?? I have never heard of this.

millermom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 18

Every time someone posts a site where you can get the SPS system, I go to that site, and have trouble finding it, or finding out anything about it. I'll find pieces for the system, but right now, I wouldn't even know what I need.

Can anyone tell me of a site that carries the system and that also explains it really well?

PinkGiGi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 18

Yes, please post the instructions for this. I am thinking this method (or my visual picture of this method) would be really helpful for a cake I'm doing this weekend.

Thank you!!!

lilahcakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 18

I would also like to know how to find more information about this, I am very new to all of this and am CLUELESS. icon_biggrin.gif

4sweet Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 18

I would like to know too, please.

Lori2240 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 18

the cake is a 14X10X6 square stacked cake (middle tier staggered). The site is 55 miles away. I am just debating if I should assemble there or not. One of my main concerns is that if I have a cake on the 10 in plate for example, the plate may be showing slightly (due to any cake shrinkage or excess cake trimming). Did this happen to you? Is that what you meant by "hiding the plates"? The info on the SPS system is scattered at best. I found out about it on this board and asked Leah a few questions about it. She knows all about it and uses it all the time. I have yet to use it and still have a ton of questions myself. You can buy the plates and columns at GlobalSugarArt Im pretty sure.

Solecito Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 18

I just bought my first "set" at Oasis Supply.
I made my own set, estimating what sizes I use more, for example, it's more probable that'd make a 14"-10"-6", than a 14"-12"-10"'8"-6", but if I do both, I'd need 2-6" plates, 1-8", 2-10" and 1-12". So try to figure out whatare the sizes of cakes you do and order accordingly. As to the pillars I ordered some 4" and some 9" just in case I have a cake taller (or shorter) than 4" .

kjt Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 18

For some reason, I'm not able to find the previous threads on the SPS icon_confused.gif
Try to search SPS, or look at the posts by leahs...she is the resident expert on this, and as she says, she is "out to convert the world" to the SPS system thumbs_up.gif
Oasis does carry them, or if you have a tax ID number you can get them through Bakery Crafts and their customer service is excellent!

JodieF Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 18

I just used it for the first time a few weeks ago on the monster 5 tier cake I did. I assembled on site. I ordered the plates that were the same size as the cakes I made, and the pillars that have extenders added to them for different heights. Go look at the most recent cake in my photos...the 50th anniversary cake.
Yes, I had a single cardboard round under each tier. I sat them on the next size up cardboard round so I didn't mess up the buttercream moving them around. For the bigger cakes I also put them on a piece of masonite to transport them. You don't put the cakes on the plates until you're assembling the cake, because the plates are snapped into the pillars. I had the plates and pillars in the cakes when I transported them. I assembled on site, because the cake was so large and heavy. The bottom tier was 30 pounds by itself! The whole cake was 88 pounds.

Sorry if I missed any questions!

dawncr Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 18

We need you to contract with Bakery Crafts to sell SPS and include directions/video. Followup questions could be free---You just need to collect all your previous posts answering everyone's questions.

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #15 of 18

I'm happy to keep sending out the instruction sheet (and it has lots of pictures!) SPS is easy to find on the Oasis Supply site now. Just put SPS in the searh box. Everyone's info above is spot on. You can pre-assemble whatever you can lift. Don't underestimate that your cake is heavy. I do like to put the top tier on onsite, so that I can check for level one last time. However, I have been able to bring a three tier in, set in down, take a picture and go.

varika Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #16 of 18

I would love to see an SPS how-to in the articles, honestly. I love the idea of it, but I'm just not at all sure I understand it! Visualizing it is beyond me...

TEE39 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #17 of 18

WHAT IS SPS!!! icon_redface.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #18 of 18

Just email me for instructions with pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%