Taste Difference B/w Bc, Smbc, Imbc

Baking By brandi412 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm by playingwithsugar

brandi412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandi412 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone explain the taste difference between BC, SMBC, & IMBC?

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 6

SMBC and IMBC taste the same, smooth and creamy. The only difference between the two is technique. Both types of icings have several different recipes - which you prefer depends upon your own personal taste. Some are more buttery, some are more sweet, some fall in the middle.

What is commonly called BC or American BC, is a combination of fat, powdered sugar, and flavor, with a bit of liquid to incorporate everything.

Which you choose is all a matter of taste, or how much labor you want to put into your icing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 6

I have never tried IMBC;but between SMBC and American BC, the american is a lot sweeter. The SMBC has a delicate sweetness, but is more of a buttery taste and accepts other flavors very well. I can't get enough of the SMBC with chocolate ganache added. The only drawbacks of SMBC is that is doesn't color as well and is more sensitive to changes in temperature. I prefer the taste to the SMBC, but more people are used to the regular BC taste IMHO.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

dynee -

JKalman taught me that I should be using oil-based candy colors, to color my SMBC. I switched, and she was right. Chefmaster and Americolor are the brands I am familiar with, although I am sure there are others.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 6

Theresa,
Thanks for the info. I think I was in on that discussion and saw the pictoral. I had already made up my mind to try the "candy" colors and have had good luck with it but wasn't sure if the OP would have it. The afghan in my photos is SMBC with candy color.
LL

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 6

Dynee -

That cake is beautiful!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%