Black Royal Icing Smearing & Runing Into Other Colors

Baking By deecie Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm by TracyLH

deecie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 4

I decorated cookies in the afternoon and used black royal icing to outline and also to color some parts of the cookies and a few hours later the black is running, smearing and feathering into the other colors...WHY???

Also, any good recipes for icing that doesnt smear?
I have tried these recipes....
1) powdered sugar, water and a bit of corn syrup.
2) powdered sugar, bit of milk, a bit of corn syrup
3) powdered sugar, water, meringue powder

I have only noticed the smearing of the of the black, no other colors.

3 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

I use the Antonia74 recipe found on CC and have never had a problem with bleeding or smearing. I always make sure my outlines are well crusted before flooding. Also, I use cocoa powder to achieve dark black since Wilton color will only get you a dark gray. I read recently that using cocoa powder also helps prevent the black from bleeding.

The only time I have experienced slight bleeding was when I dropped wet black onto wet pink.

Hope this helps.

ALVARGA Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

I use black all the time but I let it dry completely if it is flooded before I add another color unless I want a bleeding effect. If it is an outline then I just make sure it is realy crusted well before I continue. The same goes wih red. The colors will run/bleed because they are so intense. I know this adds time to the finished product but I found that there are no shortcuts. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 4

I am in full agreement with Kim-in-CajunCountry and Alvarga - let it dry thoroughly. I used to have the some problem (even with drying) until I used Antonia74's RI recipe and I have much better results. I also use Americolor Super Black and it is fabulous! I don't know if you do this, but if you mix your black and let the bowl sit covered overnight, the color will deepen (same with red).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%