Question About Wilton Square Pans

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 10:23am by indydebi

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 17

I noticed that the Wilton square pans have slightly rounded corners, as opposed to the totally straight ones some other brands have. Does this make a big difference in the appearance of the cake? If I "mixed brands", so to speak, and used the wilton pans on the bottom for one size and another brand with the straighter edges on the top for a smaller size in a tiered cake, would there be an obvious difference?

Thanks for your help! I have bought the wilton in 10" and 8", but wanted some smaller sizes too which don't seem to be made by wilton and don't want a problem in the future.

thanks!
Angela

16 replies
lardbutt Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 17

I think it makes a huge difference. Wilton square pans not only don't have the really straight corners, but the sides aren't straight either!

If you have to mix them though, I think it can work. I just love my Magic Line pans!

leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 17

My best advice is to toss the Wilton crap (well, put it on Ebay) and get some Magic Line pans. You'll thank yourself in the end.

something_sweet Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 17

I have wondered how people get such straight corners, but I never thought that it might have to do wirh the pan. But you are exactly right about the Wilton pans!

I'm gonna check out the Magic Lines myself! Thanks!

jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 17

I have done many square wedding cakes, check out my photos. All of them were done in Wilton pans, that's all I have. I'm not bashing any other brand but I've not had any problems with my pans. When I first joined CC I heard all about Magic Line and Fat Diddios and thought about changing over to them but when I priced them as opposed to already owning at leaast two of every size in the round, square. heart, hexagon. petal, oval and rectangle. I couldn't justify spending that much money. I use crisco and flour and they have never not worked well. I have had these pans for 20+ years. As far as the sides not being straight, the previous poster is correct but when I crumb coat the differece is filled in. Yes, the corners are rounded but I bring the icing out just a little beyond the corner and make the turn with the spatula and create a square corner. In the end it's great to get advice and opinions but what works best for you is what you should do.

Jibbies

arosstx Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 17

I second what leahs says. If you're gonna make cake, get good pans. You'll always be glad you did. Magic Line is hard to beat.

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 17

All of us started out with Wilton....I have been slowly over the years replacing them with Magic Line (which if you buy wholesale are actually CHEAPER then wilton!) But as far as corners: When I put on buttercream, it is so thick you can't see any rounded corners, they are sharp from the buttercream. If its a fondant cake, I trim them anyway because I like a nice clean edge under the fondant. No matter what the pan.

grama_j Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 17

I recently bought the new Wilton square Preformance pans, and they are as straight as straight can be... probabaly trying to keep up with the newer lines.....

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

I second what leahs says. If you're gonna make cake, get good pans. You'll always be glad you did. Magic Line is hard to beat.

Agree. But if you have to use rounded-corner pans, then ice the corners square. A common mistake is to ice the cake to the shape of the cake .... you don't have to do that. Just square off your icing to make it perfectly square.

jlsheik Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 17

For the OP...take a peek at my photos, all of my tiered square cakes have mixed wilton and magic line pans. I can tell the differance. But I'm not sure others can.
I wish I had all magic line pans!! I do love those straight lines!! Someday I will have a full collection but until then I will keep plugging along with what I have!!! But buying along the way!!!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

I can tell the differance. But I'm not sure others can.

I sure can't tell the difference! They look great!

jlsheik Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 17

I am honored that you took the time to look...you are one of my favorite members on here and I use your BC recipe religiously!!!!
Thanks Indy

Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 17

All I have is Wilton.

I do some cakes with rounded corners and others with square corners... all from the same pan.

It takes practice to square off a corner and one day I sat there with a batch of BC and a cake and kept at it until I got the hang of it.

If you can't afford the higher priced pans right now then don't worry about it.

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for all the feedback!! That's exactly what I needed to know! icon_smile.gif And jlsheik...I couldn't really tell the difference! icon_smile.gif

CambriasCakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 17

I have some Wilton and some Magic Line and have mixed them before....you really can't tell the difference. It's all in the way you ice them!

margaretb Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:45am
post #16 of 17

Can someone say what exactly is wrong with Wilton pans? I hadn't even realized there were other cake pans out there. If I bought more pans that weren't wilton, I would probably have to order off the internet so I wouldn't be able to check them out beforehand. I was just thinking about getting a set of square pans too!

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:23am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Can someone say what exactly is wrong with Wilton pans? I hadn't even realized there were other cake pans out there. If I bought more pans that weren't wilton, I would probably have to order off the internet so I wouldn't be able to check them out beforehand. I was just thinking about getting a set of square pans too!

The sides are more flared ... not straight up and down. Corners are rounded and not squared off. If you compare them side by side, wilton pans are "lightweight" .... thinner metal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%