Church-Ish Question...

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 4:04am by avgsuperheroine

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:32am
post #1 of 39

Sorry for not knowing what to put in the Subject. icon_razz.gif

I am in no way religious, but I had an idea (light bulb lol) a while ago and was wondering... I heard a few people saying they make cakes in their churches and what not, so.... Since I don't really sell my cakes and my mother and sisters probably still have left over cake at their house, do churches hold any type of event that they would want free cakes or something??

I really enjoy practicing and trying to get really good but I can't practice too much anymore because I just don't have anyone to give the cakes to.
We don't eat any of them and our daughter just licks the icing off. It's a shame to let them go to waste....

If anyone has any ideas on how I can make some cakes for practice but still have someone who will take them, could you let me know?

Thanks!!!!

38 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:48am
post #2 of 39

Have you considered talking to the principal at a nearby school? When my son was in elementary school, the teachers always LOVED getting free cake in the staff lounge. Also, I know a lady here in town who likes to bake and she takes her stuff to a nursing home near where she lives. She doesn't do cake decorating, just bundts and pound cakes and that sort of thing. She says they are always appreciative. But can you imagine how much it might brighten the day of an elderly person who has no family, to get a birthday cake? You could bake a cake a week or a month or however often you want. There is also a battered women's shelter here in town which houses moms and kids. Is there a place like that in your area? You could bake a cake a month to celebrate all the kid's birthdays for that month. And don't forget homeless shelters or soup kitchens. It's possible a church could send you in the right direction for just about any of those things. It just depends what you want to do.

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:53am
post #3 of 39

Thank you, I can tell it's past "mommys" bedtime too because I didn't even think of that!

Thank you so much. I will be making some calls this week, I live in Richmond, VA so I'm sure there's many of the places you mentioned.

Thank you again!

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:56am
post #4 of 39

You're Welcome! Just a note, you don't have to be "church-ish" to do good things for other people. You have a gift you want to share, and that sounds like a good thing to do.
Sleep well shhh.gif

PS: that is an absolutely adorable child in your avatar!

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:09am
post #5 of 39

Thank you, it's our daughter. =)

I just meant by the non religious comment that I wouldn't know what churches do and types of events that they might hold. icon_smile.gif

I've already decided to make my next few cakes specifically for children if I can find (which I am currently looking) shelters or somewhere where they will let me make them there or bring them in. I just can't deal with how sad the world is most of the time and having a child makes you see things differently for most things.

It would make my day and month to see children enjoying their birthdays who don't usually get a "normal" birthday.

Sorry to ramble. icon_smile.gif Good night....morning.

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:19am
post #6 of 39

There was a thread just the other day about a lady who does just what you are talking about, she makes cakes for kids who might not otherwise have a cake, because so many families are having financial difficulties these days. I wish I could remember the Topic of that thread. There was a link in it to her website, which explains her efforts. It might be of interest to you.

I'm sort of brain dead at the moment from sleep deprivation, but if I can find it tomorrow, I will post the link.

Nite-nite from Arkansas

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:37am
post #7 of 39

Yes, I'm finally signing off for a small nap before they wake up. icon_razz.gif

Please do send it my way if you would. I'll search for it tomorrow but not too sure what to search for. Oh well, maybe someone reading these knows the link to it. =)

Good night for now.

Gatorfan01 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:43am
post #8 of 39

Another idea is your local armed forces recruiting stations. Just another way to say "thank you" to our service men and women. usaribbon.gif

marcimang Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:57am
post #9 of 39

I donate cakes for a teen mom's program that holds Baby showers, fire stations, police stations, shelters, doctors offices, nursing homes are also some ideas that you could bless with your creations!!!!
I give mine to my neighbors too! Good luck finding the right places to enjoy your cakes

mbelgard Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 39

One thing that some nursing homes do is have trick or treating on Halloween. They might appreciate something fancy for that night if you were willing to do something large.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 39

Many churches have ladies' auxiliaries, senior groups, scouting, men's brotherhoods. There is a Baptist church near me which has a Sunday cake and coffee time after their services, every Sunday. I have contributed to them several times, because good friends of my are members.

Some counties also runs senior citizen centers where they serve lunch, so a donated dessert might come in handy.

Homeless shelters also appreciate donations of cakes. A friend of mine donates a half-sheet, 2-layer cake to her local shelter every month, so they can celebrate all the birthdays that month, at the location.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 39

Thank you!

Those are all great ideas. icon_smile.gif

It will give me the ability to practice even more, while helping other people and hopefully making them happy (or least get a good laugh at how bad my cakes might turn out icon_razz.gif ) either way hopefully I find some of those places that will accept them.

Thank you again
I appreciate your help so much!

robinscakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 39

These are great ideas! I actually am "church-ish" and have often wondered what I can do with my abilities to bake/decorate. 1 Corinthians speaks of spiritual gifts and I often wonder what in the world God wants me to do with my gift of making cakes. I'm in awe of those who have been given the gifts of preaching or leading or healing the sick....and God gave me cake decorating???? I truly believe He has a sense of humor. But it would be great to give back to the community in all of these ways that have been mentioned. I absolutely love the idea of making baby shower cakes for a crisis pregnancy center! What a great idea!

Sorry, I didn't mean to get too church-ish!!!

Anyway, I know that at my church they do baptisms once a quarter. You could offer a baptism cake based on a local church's baptism schedule. My church also does a new Sunday school year kick-off in September, an end of school celebration, and a day to honor new graduates. I have also made cakes for my church for visiting missionaries and for people who have come from other countries for medical treatment for their children here. I'm sure if you spoke to a friend who belongs to a church, or to a church in your neighborhood they would have suggestions for you, too.

Good luck!

misserica Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 39

I just wanted to add my two cents here. I am new to this cake decorating and after making cakes and cupcakes that ended up going to waste I started taking them to the local soup kitchen. They will take anything you bring them, they usually have a separate area for donations,and they also give you a special paper for tax purposes. I found this to be the best way to have my cakes and cupcakes eaten, the soup kitchen usually hands out bagged lunches with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and when people like us bring cakes, the "patrons" can have something handmade and pretty.

JenLen Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #15 of 39

Our church has fundraisers for different church missions (example: we went to New Orleans after Katrina to rebuild churches) that we are often asked to bake something for. That is one idea. Also, I always bake cakes, cookies, and bars to take to our local fire and police department during the holidays.....I am sure they would appreciate them any time of the year.

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #16 of 39

One other question that just came to mind...

If I were to start taking them to different places (for free of course)

Would it in anyway break any laws if I were to give who ever asks or is in charge a card with my contact information on it??

Even though I wouldn't be selling the cakes, but just so that if they happen to find other areas or places that I could donate cakes they could contact me?

If it is breaking some sort of law since I don't have my own cake business, what would the best way to go about getting my name out there to let those places know how to contact me for upcoming childrens birthdays or events that could use donated cakes? I don't think writing it down on a little peice of paper would stay organized for too long...

robinscakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #17 of 39

I don't think donating a cake is breaking any law. You just can't receive any payment for it. It's up to the recipient whether or not they want to take the donation. Some might not, since they don't know anything about you. Others will welcome it.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 39

But you are asking about offering a card with your contact information on it.

If it is formatted like a business card, or has a business name on it, then yes, you would be breaking the law, because you are implying that you are in business.

If you make up some computerized cards which say

Name
Phone

Please feel free to contact me if you need me to donate a cake, or know someone who does

Something like that - then no, you are then merely giving your information in case you can be of further assistance.

BTW -

All churches and valid organizations have tax-exempt numbers. It was mentioned earlier that you can get receipts for tax deductions for your donations. Yes, this is true. But since you are not in business, you can only add that you contributed the cost of ingredients and overhead (maybe an extra dollar or two for utilities). If you were in business, you would be able to deduct the entire retail price of the donation. You should request a receipt for a donation in the amount of what it cost you to make the cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

misserica Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #19 of 39

Again, just my two cents but when I donate to the soup kitchen they have a book that I sign my name and phone number in with the date. I have never had them call me and I have dropped off more than just cakes. It would not be breaking any laws to donate to a soup kitchen as long as they accept the donation. Each time I bring something they open the box and/or bag to see what I have dropped off and then thank me. I would venture to say that if you are donating most places are not going to make a stink if it came out of your personal kitchen and you bake for fun.

JaneDee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #20 of 39

Oh okay... thank you for informing me of all of this. I really appreciate your help!! I am all extra excited to make my next cake now that I have options for not letting them sit in my mothers fridge at her house. lol
icon_smile.gif

I am getting ready to finally order a sample of that Fondarific fondant. I'm curious to see how good the flavors are. =)

mbelgard Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDee

One other question that just came to mind...

If I were to start taking them to different places (for free of course)

Would it in anyway break any laws if I were to give who ever asks or is in charge a card with my contact information on it??

Even though I wouldn't be selling the cakes, but just so that if they happen to find other areas or places that I could donate cakes they could contact me?

If it is breaking some sort of law since I don't have my own cake business, what would the best way to go about getting my name out there to let those places know how to contact me for upcoming childrens birthdays or events that could use donated cakes? I don't think writing it down on a little peice of paper would stay organized for too long...

You do need to check into your states laws regarding food even to donate. There are some places that might not be able to accept it, say a women's shelter, if it has been made at home.

It all depends on your state. I live in North Dakota and the schools here can have items baked at home. My mother lives in Minnesota and everything has to be in a sealed package from the store.

If your state is strict you might be able to donate something for the staff of the nursing home to have, they just wouldn't be able to serve it to the residents.

If you aren't trying to sell giving cards out shouldnt' be an issue.

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #22 of 39

www.freecakesforkids.com is the site referred to earlier in the post icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

www.freecakesforkids.com is the site referred to earlier in the post icon_smile.gif

Thank You foxymomma521! That is absolutely the one I was trying to think of!

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #24 of 39

I do all of my baking for charities or donations to charities/non-profits.

If a charity needs a cake, they let me know (this includes my church and any other religious group that knows of my services) and they get what they need for free.

If an individual wants a cake, I give them a fair retail price, they give me the cash equivalent at delivery, I give them a money order made out to the charity of their choice that they then copy, retain the receipt, and mail off to the charity.

I find this arrangement allows me to expand my skills, work with people on specific designs, etc., and to have the charity use the money for a greater good.

So far, it works like a charm. People don't haggle price (and if they do, I suggest that they go elsewhere), I get design challenges, and the charities get good $ to use as they need.

I consider this my "paying it forward, one cake at a time" ministry icon_lol.gif

Just another route to the same destination.

HTH
Rae

Cake_Princess Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDee

Sorry for not knowing what to put in the Subject. icon_razz.gif

I am in no way religious, but I had an idea (light bulb lol) a while ago and was wondering... I heard a few people saying they make cakes in their churches and what not, so.... Since I don't really sell my cakes and my mother and sisters probably still have left over cake at their house, do churches hold any type of event that they would want free cakes or something??

I really enjoy practicing and trying to get really good but I can't practice too much anymore because I just don't have anyone to give the cakes to.
We don't eat any of them and our daughter just licks the icing off. It's a shame to let them go to waste....

If anyone has any ideas on how I can make some cakes for practice but still have someone who will take them, could you let me know?

Thanks!!!!

Have you tried donating to homeless shelters and other places that feed the homeless?

nia0524 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #26 of 39

Fondarific is awesome...I tried and purchased some at the ICES convention. I really love the orange and buttercream.

JaneDee Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #27 of 39

I asked about the sample packs and she said you could get three, each with five flavors of your choice... so darnit if I didn't get three sample packs; one of each of the 12 flavors and an extra sample of BC, vanilla, and chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif I'm excited to try it out!

Babygirlx Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #28 of 39

I love donating to my church. They always have some thing going on. You could do something weekly like for Sunday school for the kids or for the adults. They have annual days, pastors day, choir day and fellowships with other church's which serve dinner so you could donate here as well. You could get a lot of exposure because the members as well as the visitors pass the info on. I got sooooo many orders from my church family for cakes, cookies and candy just by giving it out free at church services. It allows people to see what you can do.

varika Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #29 of 39

Another place you could give some love to is school bus drivers! You could ask your daughter's bus driver where their main office is, and surprise them with a cake. I just took one in yesterday--I work as a school bus driver--and got the greatest reaction EVER to a cake. It's not every day you get to see someone ACTUALLY jump up and down like that!

JaneDee Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #30 of 39

That is a good idea, but our daughter is only 2. icon_razz.gif Maybe when she goes to school I'll remember that and make them cakes too. icon_smile.gif

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%