Those In Areas Frequently Affected By Hurricanes...

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm by loriemoms

sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:33am
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering what you policies/procedures are in the event of approaching storm. I'm in the New Orleans area. My business didn't really take off until after returning from our Katrina evac. And the last two years, we really haven't had any storms to threaten us. But after this weekend with Fay on the Horizon and the threat that she could effect us there, I was left contimplating what actions to take. Of course, we were very fortunate and are only getting a bit of wind and rain (unlike poor Florida, which I always find my heart just breaking for during the season) so I all of my parties continued as scheduled. But I questioned how to go about handling it in the future. Of course I wouldn't hold a deposit as a cancellation in a situation like that, but I wondered about rescheduling, especially since I have no available dates until November. At what point do you say, I have to focus on preparing my household, even if it's not in an evacuation situation. Do you make a decision to cancel orders? Or do you just contact everyone, discuss what they're doing, and fill the orders who want you to, even if it means a lack of preparation for the storm. Do any of you have an "act of God/nature" clause?

Sorry so many questions. I just thought it would be a good idea to find out what others do so I can decide what I feel comfortable with and what's considered acceptable.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 4

This is a great question. Even up here, on the Northeast Coast, we occasionally get a hurricane or three slapping us around. I would like to hear what the East Coast Yankees have to say about this, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 4

i'd definitely put an "act of God" clause. But contract or no contract, if i had to choose between preparing my family to survive a storm or making a cake, there isn't really a choice. Give them their money back of course, but you have to do what you have to do.

loriemoms Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 4

To the OP....I hope you did ok this weekend!

We have tropical storms and hurricanes all the time here, but our ice storms is why I put the Act of God clause in my contracts. They usually hit suddenly and sometimes the roads are inpassible. Usually a hurricane comming prompts the customer to cancel the entire party, not just the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%