Questions About Packaging Food Items

Business By eriksmom Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 2:00am by eriksmom

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 3

I have a small cake shop and I am directly across the street from a party supply shop. We have become good friends in the past year, and have decided to pool our talents together and come up with a little gift container, complete with ribbon and a balloon.
My confusion, or maybe question, is this - The containers we will be using are clear plastic, one piece with a snap lid, like they have at the grocery store for cookies and such. I will be making dipped pretzels, which will rest in a grease resistant paper "cupcake" cup, little individual fudges, which will be poured then hardened in little mini foil cups, like mini reese's, and shortbread cookies, which will also be in the grease proof cups. So, to dress up the package, we want to put colorful paper shreds in the bottom of the containers and then put the food in. So, do we need to make sure it is food grade, or can we just use regular shreds? The food items will be in their own little things, but not wrapped air tight, just the lids. these are non perishable foods, of course, but still will not be touching the shreds unless it is dropped.
I've never done a packaging like this before, so i thought i would run it by anyone who has, or knows the ropes of this type of excursion.

Thanks so much to those of you who can make sense of what i tried to explain and maybe answer my questions.

Becky

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 3

As long as the food is not resting directly on the shreds, they should be fine. They use them in easter baskets and other gift baskets.

You might also look at papermart for some. most of their items are for food.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 3

thanks, thats what i was hoping to hear. although, the items in the containers won't be individually wrapped, so if they accidentally tip over, does that count?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%