How Do You Freeze Your Cakes/cupcakes?

Decorating By amazinggracecakedesigns Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm by Mike1394

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 7

I have never frozen any of my cakes because I always make them fresh when ordered. But I am starting to have more requests for wedding cakes & with consultations. I was wondering what is the best way to freeze the cake so that it doesn't loose its flavor & taste "frozen". Any advice will be well appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 7

wrap them tightly in saran wrap they will hold their freshness. I always put a few layers of saran.

msulli10 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7

I wrap them in saran wrap and then tin foil. Thaw them in the fridge. It's amazing how fresh they taste. It also gives you a firmer cake to work with.

newnancy Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 7

I may be overdoing it but they always seem fresh & moist. I completely cool them then wrap in saran wrap, then foil, then a plastic kitchen bag with all the air squeezed out & keep in the freezer for 1 month...no problems. I did this with the top of my neices wedding cake & she said it was just the same on their 1st anniversary. Try it, it works for me.

Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #5 of 7

Ok, sorry, but when I first saw the title of the thread, the smart aleck in me said, "I generally use the freezer." icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I know a lot of people are against freezing, but I find when I do it (usually if I have a huge order that requires baking ahead) it actually helps make the cake even perhaps a bit MORE moist than usual! That's never a bad thing!!

Anyway, I always wrap in saran wrap as mentioned, but make sure you do several layers. I wouldn't use less than three! (It depends a little on how long you are freezing, but it's important to have it well protected.) You can also do it while they are slightly warm, and the trapped condensation will actually make the cake more moist. The trick with cupcakes is to not frost them, freeze them 'naked', and wrap each one tightly in several layers of saran, then put them in a freezer bag. If you do this, they will come out of the freezer like a dream! Otherwise... freezer burn city! Ew... no one likes that!! thumbsdown.gif

vww104 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 7

I put my cupcakes in an old 12 cup muffin pan, put a sheet of wax paper on top and then slide the whole thing into a 2 gallon ziploc freezer bag. It may not sound like enough protection but I have frozen cupcakes like this for as long as 2 months and they come out moist and delicious. If you don't have an extra pan you can use a piece of cardboard instead. Very easy.

Mike1394 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 7

With very, very cold air that's inside a box. icon_biggrin.gif Sorry I just had to. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%