Ri Butterflies On Wires?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 4:24am by TexasSugar

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 3

I have never made any of the floaty/wired flowers or butterflies or anything to put on a cake... And I would like to! I have tried making some RI butterflies to put on a friend's cake in a few weeks, and the trial run went great. But now I want to make some on wires to float over the cake. Anyone have a tutorial or pointers to offer?

I have read that you need to use small straws/stirrers in the cake and not just put the wires directly in. But any more advice on placing them, and on actually MAKING them would be great!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 3

You can pipe the 'body' on the end of the wire, flat on parchment until they set. the pipe the wings either on flat paper, or put the body into a V shaped paper to pipe the wings.

the wires can be wrapped, but it is easier to insert a straw to hold the wire(s)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 3

With the royal icing butterflies, I would probably pipe the body and then slide the wire into it when you do the wings and let it dry that way. You can then bend the wire in the ways you want it to go.

And yes you use the stir straws so that you aren't putting the wire directly into the cake, plus it will help hold the wire in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%