Satin -Ice

Business By jules1719 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm by sweettoothmom

jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #1 of 16

I currently use Massa Grischuna from Albert Uster. I was thinking of trying Satin-Ice and was wondering if anyone had used both products and could offer an opinion. I chill cakes covered in grischuna all the time, so I wonder how Satin-Ice holds up out of the fridge.

I know "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but I'm wondering if there is a better product out there.

Thoughts, comments?

15 replies
korkyo Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 16

Satin ice is nice and has a good flavor. From a personal opinion I find it too soft. I like pettin ice.

I'd suggest ordering a 1 pound package and try it out. So many time it's just what you are used to.

Jorre Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #3 of 16

I like Satin Ice and despised Pettinice!

I made a wedding cake last fFri, 2 stacked layers and 2 tiered. 3 of the layers were refridgerated overnight after being covered in Satin Ice (cheesecake & mousse filling) and 1 sat out (buttercream filling).

The refridgerated layers became extremely wet and sticky upon being removed from the refridgerator but that went away very quickly and then there was no difference at all between the 3 refridgerated and the 1 non-refridgerated.

The cakes were then transported 1 1/2 hours and then once again 3 were refridgerated 1 was not. After about 2 hours, I removed them and set the whole cake up. Once again top 3 were shiny and sticky but it went away pretty quick.

The groom's parents took the top layer, refridgerated it overnight in their hotel room and then served it the next day at a brunch with the wedding party. They said it looked just as good as it did at the wedding.

I'd have to say the Satin Ice held up real well, especially since those poor cakes were in and out and in and out of fridges AND had a very long transport!

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:07am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1719

I currently use Massa Grischuna from Albert Uster. I was thinking of trying Satin-Ice and was wondering if anyone had used both products and could offer an opinion. I chill cakes covered in grischuna all the time, so I wonder how Satin-Ice holds up out of the fridge.

I know "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but I'm wondering if there is a better product out there.

Thoughts, comments?

I have used both and prefer the Massa, but it is very hard to find around here..(I have to basically order it directly from Albert Uster and it its just too expensive!) I like the flavor more and how you can roll it thinner. If you are used to it, you wont like Satin Ice. It has a strong vanilla flavor that I feel takes away from the flavor of the cake and it is very soft and stretchy. I have actually covered cakes with it, got it all smoothed out and a few hours later it had stretched down the cake! (the cake had no border and had a nice clean edge that was now ruined) It takes some getting used to after using the stability of Massa. (I Use the americana which has a more white look to it) I switched to fondx about six months ago..its the same price as Satin Ice, but is much more stable, can be frozen or refrigerated, and rolled thinner. It also doesnt have that strong vanilla flavor. The only caution is because it is a stiffer fondant you have to knead it a little more, but it reminds me more of the texture of Massa then Satin Ice does.

BakingJeannie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 16

I am planning to use the Satin Ice on a cake soon and thought maybe if I add some powdered sugar it may get a little firmer? I have use the Wilton, but added vanilla extract to give it flavor, I like it's firmness and found that even my MMF and the homemade fondant does not give me that firmness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hula_girl3 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 16

I know that with my kitchen climate Massa worked the best. It was able to take the heat and humidity that I can get in that kitchen. Satin,Pet and all the others...solely imo just cant compare to Massa. I have to use Satin now when working with the pre-made Black and Red, right after I do I'm usually telling my Albert Uster Rep to keep buggin the company about coming out with colored Fondant. Massa can take being worked with a lot in comparison, you dont have to cover your excess as quickly to keep it from crusting. The others just dry out too quick and get too sweaty in the fridge. I also didnt like how Satin would tear away from itself.

I teach a Sculpted cake classes and those ladies use satin or petinice, they get a lot of "elephant skin" real quick. So when they have to re-roll it doesnt always roll as nice the second time around. So for their beginners/intermediate stand point they have a harder time.

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 16

Hula Girl,

Have you tried using the caljava's white chocolate that is colored fondant. (I dont know why they call it white chocolate when its black or red!haha) I use it as a coloring..its very soft and taste great and stays pliable longer...I don't like using it alone, but it sure is great to color fondant with..it also comes in a huge range of colors! (no I don't work for the company..just wish I did for an enployee discount!

Hula_girl3 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks Loriemoms

I'll look into that brand.

I've also used the Sweet Inspirations Black before and that was just hard as a rock. It also didnt take kindly to being used multiple times either.

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_girl3

Thanks Loriemoms

I'll look into that brand.

I've also used the Sweet Inspirations Black before and that was just hard as a rock. It also didnt take kindly to being used multiple times either.

sometimes it does come rather hard if it has been sitting stored for a while..but as you knead it, it gets softer and softer. GIves you strong muscles and perky breasts!

jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 16

[quote="loriemoms"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_girl3

Thanks Loriemoms
GIves you strong muscles and perky breasts!

rrrrright.......

Seriously, thanks for the input. I've never tried another brand, so the input is invaluable. I might test a few brands out. Someone in this thread mentioned it's all what you are used to, but it couldn't hurt to experiment right?

spring Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 16

I think I've used them all! lol! I really like the Mass. so easy to work with and you can roll it really thin. It does well in and out of the fridge.

I don't like Satin Ice as I don't think you can roll it as thin and I find it harder to work with.

Minette
www.minetterushing.typepad.com

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingJeannie

I am planning to use the Satin Ice on a cake soon and thought maybe if I add some powdered sugar it may get a little firmer? I have use the Wilton, but added vanilla extract to give it flavor, I like it's firmness and found that even my MMF and the homemade fondant does not give me that firmness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I find that mixing 1/3 Wilton with 2/3 Satin Ice yields a great tasting, very workable product. I also do the same with FondX because I have found it to be even softer than Satin Ice.

As for adding PS, I wouldn't advise it. It will be hard to get it kneaded in evenly and it will probably make the product too dry, yielding elephant skin.

CalJava's "white chocolate fondant" that comes in colors IS Sweet Inspirations. It's very similar to Choco Pan. I don't enjoy working with by itself, but mixed 1/3 or 1/2 to FondX or Satin Ice it's very nice. You can get a similar result by adding some modeling chocolate to fondant, as well.

I like Massa, but can't get past the price point.

Rae

Cakebelle Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 16

Has anyone ever tried the Carma brand fondant?
I've heard it is a much better fondant, I'm having a hard time finding a source to buy it from. But it works a lot better than any other brand out there.
I heard that from Kate Sullivan, maybe I should ask her. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 16

Colette Peters used to use Massa Ticino by Carma. She now uses the Massa Grischuna Americana by Alber Uster.

I understand that the Ticino is very soft, but tastes very nice. It's also pretty expensive.

L'epicerie carries it:

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_139201_White_Rolling_Fondant.html

HTH
Rae

Cakebelle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Colette Peters used to use Massa Ticino by Carma. She now uses the Massa Grischuna Americana by Alber Uster.

I understand that the Ticino is very soft, but tastes very nice. It's also pretty expensive.

L'epicerie carries it:

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_139201_White_Rolling_Fondant.html

HTH
Rae

Hey Rae:
Thanks so much for the info.
icon_surprised.gif I didn't realize how expensive it was, I guess I'll stick with Satin Ice for now!
I've found that SI has a lot more air bubbles in it now, does anyone see that in theirs too?

sweettoothmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 16

I have used the Satin Ice and the Wilton Fondant.
The smell of vanilla in Satin Ice is wonderful and fills the room with memories of bakeries from my past. I have never had a problem with my Satin Ice getting sticky or sweaty in the fridge. I cover my cakes with plastic wrap though and your cake needs to be fully cooled before you apply fondant. i think the cake might have too much trapped moisture trying to evaporate due to the heat, if sweaty cake is a result. Unless I use a filling that is dairy based I also leave my cakes wrapped in plasti on the counter. The fondant does crust over if you leave them uncovered but I dont do that. You can add flavoring and color to Satin Ice very easily too. The price the workability the taste and the overall product is really great. I just wish I didnt have to order it by mail. I have to have it delivered and it takes a week to get to me. I have to plan ahead.

I have NEVER had a problem with Satin Ice but I roll it thin. I dont care for a mouth full of it so i try to keep it thin. I use a good coat of BC underneath that so the Fondant is just to pretty it up and add detail. The real icing on the cake so to speak is the BC.
I think has been some comments said about the quality, smell, taste and workability of Wiltons fondant product mentioned here at CC. My thoughts are that Wilton fondant is horrid all the way around. I suppose if it was all anyone had ever had they would either love it or hate it but I find most people here find it wretched.
I have not used the more expensive Massa cavajala, or fondex versions etc.
The MMF is a great recipe too but it is still sweet. A good sweet. but sweet.
I like being able to make it myself when I need it and I can flavor it and color it as I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%