This Cake Is So "not A Debi Cake"!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm by BREN28

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 22

... But I LUV it!!! Made it for the bridal show this weekend and I wanted something different. Found the fringe stuff in the bead dept at Walmart and knew it would make a great cake! Colors are in the "neon" family of yellows, greens and fuschia. It looked so 60's to me!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258367

Hubby saw it and said that I really went outside my realm on this one ... and he meant it as a good thing. People at the show (small turnout that it was) really luv'd it..... I got some great feedback on this cake.

I obviously don't have a collection of fondant cutter stuff, so to make the circles I used the open end of my big 2B tip, then the open end of a regular tip for the mid size circles, and the smallest ones are made with the #12 (I think) tip.

The cake is sitting on my shortest acrylic stand (what the orange M&M cake is sitting on in this pic: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415413) and I wrapped tulle around the base, which gives it a "sitting on a cloud" look. The base cake has to be elevated so the fringe will dangle.

Dare I say how much fun I had matching the fondant color with the fuschia ribbon, and cutting out the shapes and attaching them? icon_redface.gif

A shot of the whole table at the show is in my pics.

21 replies
stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 22

I agree, from your website, not a Debi cake, but great as always. You did a great job with the colors.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 22

OMG are those FONDANT CUT OUTS??? icon_wink.gif

It is such a spunky little cake Debi.. you should step out of your box more often!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #4 of 22

Groovy, man, groovy! Great job girl!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #5 of 22

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif Cool cake dudette! thumbs_up.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #6 of 22

that is a very unique cake great job! It's nice to step out once in a while.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #7 of 22

I love it. It is so Austin Powers looking, baby.(hehe).

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #8 of 22

Well I have to say this is the first time I've considered 'not very Debi-ish' to be a good thing!! This is SO cool! But I must know... where did you get that awesome separator?? WILD!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 22

Ya. done good. That cake is so cool.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #10 of 22

never would have pegged it for being your cake, but it totally rocks, which means I wasn't surprised to know it was yours.......well, not toooooo much anyhow LOL It's looks gorgeous! I love all the different fringes they have in there..Oh and a question on it too. Where did you get that cool spiral stand and how is it sitting on the next cake?? Like if you used it for a real cake how would you support it? would you put a plate on top of the cake and ice over it or what?? Just curious! I really love the spiral stand on there like that and the fact that you found orchids the EXACT shade of fuscia you needed! Amazing!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:30am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Well I have to say this is the first time I've considered 'not very Debi-ish' to be a good thing!! This is SO cool! But I must know... where did you get that awesome separator?? WILD!

Ditto....I love it. I also want to know where you got that separator.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:31am
post #12 of 22

LOL, welcome to the world of fondant circles. Too cute!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #13 of 22

The spiral separator is really a fruit stand! icon_surprised.gif Turn it upside down and it holds fruit.

Before making this, I really thought about "how would I use this on a real cake?" I would dowel the cake, of course, and lay a cardboard circle (the full size of the cake) on top of the iced cake ... then ice over the cardboard so it looks invisible ... as part of the cake. I'd use a full size circle so there would be no bump in the middle of the cake.

And good thing I thought this out ahead of time ... because I actually got that question today at the show!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro, I'm making my list of what colors of fondant I want to keep on hand now! Hard to believe, huh? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Cakepro, I'm making my list of what colors of fondant I want to keep on hand now! Hard to believe, huh? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's addicting, isn't it icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #15 of 22

Fondant is just play-dough you can eat! Now that you've crossed over to the dark side, you might never go back to all BC. icon_wink.gif

Fondant is definitely fun.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #16 of 22

WOW nice job love the fringe

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #17 of 22

The fruit stand you used on your cake, my question is where would I find one?

I haven't seen anything like that. The way you used it on your cake as a divider was a great idea.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

I haven't seen anything like that. The way you used it on your cake as a divider was a great idea.

here here icon_smile.gif inquering minds wanna know.... ok just plain nosey ones hehe j/k

awesome cake and stand deb. once again you've shown us we've got along ways to go! hehe ok nother joke.. just me then

lol sorry, slow night at work tonight (not complaining!!) idle hands and all..

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #19 of 22

Of course this is a Debi cake, it is perfect and that is your style!!!! You can't even imagine how much I have learned from you! Thank you!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:55am
post #20 of 22

Nice job, Debi! It is so cute!

I love finding "stuff" and building a cake around it.

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

I have 2 of these that I picked up in a Pottery Barn or Flower Factory type of place .... a "kitchen knick-knack" store. I use them sometimes in my catering ... stuff a colored napkin inside it, then set the bowl of dip in it for the veggies.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #22 of 22

it really does look very "60's". i love it, very cool!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%