Free Cakes For Kids...worth Donating

Decorating By JodieF Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 5:42am by Homemade-Goodies

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 13

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I just read about this in People Magazine and went and looked at the website. What a lovely thing thing lady started! She donates cakes for kids whose family can't afford one. She's in Georgia.

http://www.freecakesforkids.com/

I am definitely going to donate to her very worthwhile cause. There are so many wonderful folks on CC and I know this is going to appeal to all of you too!

This sure gets me thinking! Wouldn't it be wonderful of freecakesforkids could expand all over the world???? icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 13

I just went to that web site and her blog and I am blown away by her generousity. Now I have to go out and find the People Magazine article to read it too.

Everyone should read this!

thank you so much for sharing.

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 13

What a WONDERFUL idea! EVERY child deserves a cake for their birthday.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 13

Nice to see others are donating cakes. It can make a great special memory.

I am already donating a ton of cakes. I make a cake for every child who gets a dream from the children's dream fund. When a child has a life-threatening illness they get a dream and I make a cake to go with the dream. Keeps me being creative. So far 77 cakes since january.

Also liked the one lady who makes cakes for all the guys in her husbands platoon while they are deployed.

There are opportunities for this in every community, either do them for a foster home situation, Ronald McDonald house, Make a Wish, Wish granting organization, Share the Dream bakesale, Local military base etc.

Parable Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorfan

Also liked the one lady who makes cakes for all the guys in her husbands platoon while they are deployed.

minorfan,

Do you know where you heard about this woman? I would love to find out how to ship a cake to Iraq for my nephew.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 13

I just wrote an email to contact the lady who does this near me. THANK YOU for posting this- I JUST said to DH earlier today that I want to donate my cakes to kids who don't get one. I've been thinking about doing this for weeks, now I know how I can help! Thanks again!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 13

When this was first posted awhile back I contacted her and she gave me the info on how to go about donating cakes in my area. She's really, really sweet.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 13

The forum post that talks about the lady who does cakes for her husbands military guys is called "this is why I make or bake cakes" She makes them for the guys for the families that are back here in the states.

The military guys contact her husband and arrange for her to make a cake for there wife or child while the guys are over seas. They get a cake with a special message from dad or hubby that is over seas and can not be there.

It was on here about a week ago or less.

It is another great idea of something we can do with a cake that will give us the payment we really like - a smile.

Parable Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #9 of 13

Def more than a smile.........a heartwarming feeling nothing can compare to....for sure.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #10 of 13

i donate $5 from every cake to st judes and i give a cake once a year to a week long burn camp, for children who have been treated in a burn unit. another thing that i thought of, but haven't had a chance to do yet, is to take a cake once a month for all the birthdays, to the domestic violence shelter...i talked to the lady there, and she said that the kids really need something special during these times, and that she'd be really touched...

i'm pretty persnickety about details, but i put extra effort into my free cakes...i swear by the time i'm done with them, my heart is so full...wish i could bottle that!!!!!! i really feel like i'm the one who's getting the blessing!

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 13

I just read that article in People magazine today and I love what she is doing.

I am the one who posted about making cakes for my husband's military squadron. Before they deployed in May my husband told all the soldiers in the unit that if they wanted a special cake for a child's birthday, or maybe a cake to surprise their wife/husband on a birthday or anniversary, that I would be more than happy to do it. I've gotten quite the response from them. I just recently surprised a soldier's wife at her work with a beach themed cake (modeled after Sugarshack's of course) with a special message on it, "Happy Birthday...I miss you and love you". Let me tell you, the shock on her face when she first saw it turned into complete happiness. You could just feel the love that she has for her husband.

I tend to go the extra mile so to speak on these cakes because I know first-hand how important they will be. My husband will miss our son's 5th birthday in November and my birthday as well. The soldiers will email me when they can and words can not express how thankful they are that I would even consider doing this for them. My husband tells me that when they run into him they are just so very grateful. What they don't realize is that it's my honor to do so.

I urge you to think about doing a free cakes for kids thing, or contacting a nearby military base (Air Force, Marines, Navy, Army, National Guard, Coast Guard....whatever you have) and just let the Family Readiness Group there know that you would like to donate your time to those soldiers who would like to have cakes made for their families while they are deployed.

Trust me, you will get an unbelievable response and it's the most heartfelt feeling ever.

Becky

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #12 of 13

what a wonderful idea. cakes always make people happier anyway so why not spread the happiness to every deserving family

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:42am
post #13 of 13

Foster care issues are always so close to my heart. I truly admire this gal & her husband's resolve to do what they can...and what a special way: who doesn't love to have a cake in their honor??? Especially when maybe everything else has been so wrong lately for that child. She is awesome!

If I can briefly stand on a soap box: I'd recommend to anyone who can, become involved somehow with their local CASA organization. Maybe even with the cake angle, wouldn't that be super? Here is their national website: http://www.nationalcasa.org/

Thanks JodieF, I can't get People magazine and would have totally missed this great story without your heads up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%