August Throwdown!!! Vote Now!!!

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm by Daisys_Cakes

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 29

Please? icon_biggrin.gif

Alright, we have a couple more great competitors this month! One is a defending champion, so we'll see if she can retain her title! Their theme was La Quinceanera (which I hope I spelled correctly... icon_confused.gif ) and they both did an awesome job! So, here are their descriptions and a couple pictures each!

Cake 1:
This was a pineapple dream cake with coconut creme filling. covered in fondant. Gumpaste stars in white, gumpaste topper (15) painted silver, Gumpaste banner with Birthday girls name. Handmade white fondant pearls and two ribbon roses in coordinating colors. Cake was multitonal shades of purple to match party colors.

Cake 2:
This La Quinceanera cake incorporates many of the elements used during the celebration of a girl's transition from childhood to womanhood. The cake consists of two fondant-covered tiers (6" & 9"). The lower tier is bordered using a lattice design and a gumpaste bow. A handmade sugarpaste orchid spray separates the tiers. The spray includes sugarpaste blossoms, berries, and leaves. A royal icing tiara finishes the top tier. Additional elements of the celebration were added including a gumpaste sceptor and a high-heeled shoe (often the girl's flat shoes are replaced by heels during the celebration).

Aaaaaand...pictures!
LL
LL
LL
LL

28 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 29

i just want to say... may the best caker win...

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 29

Both are great! Can we ask the designers questions in this poll like:
For Cake 1 - whats your technique for your # topper?
For Cake 2 - where did you learn your orchid technique and what cutter did you use for the lower tier lattice design?

kansaswolf Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 29

Questions are great, but we're trying to keep the competitors' identities a secret until the throwdown's over! So the competitors are not supposed to identify themselves as such on this thread, but I'm sure they're happy for the extra attention! icon_biggrin.gif

And yes, may the best caker win! icon_biggrin.gif

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 29

Wow! Congratulations to BOTH competitors for awesome cakes!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 29

I just wanted to with both competitors good luck. Beautiful cakes!

angie

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 29

I think they are both very beautiful cakes! Great job to both of the cake makers! icon_smile.gif

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 29

Both are wonderful cakes icon_biggrin.gif ..........it just makes it harder to choose icon_sad.gif . The very best of luck to you both.
Adele

natalka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natalka Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 29

I can't decide, both of them are gorgeous and I want both to win!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 29

I couldn't choose so I let DD choose and that was our vote... both of these cakes are beautiful!

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #11 of 29

both cakes are fabulous!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 29

It seems wrong to be voting on cakes that I am not qualified to make myself, but wow, they're both wonderful! I love all the attention to detail on the second cake, though. Including that shoe, and its significance, make for a very special cake. Congratulations to both decorators!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 29

Just wanted to toss my cookies.... I mean!!... my two cents in icon_lol.gif

Thanks for keeping up these showdowns. So much fun for CC! We love looking and love voting and we love both people equally. It's fun to see people's artistic ability show up in sugar thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Well done to both competitors and keep these going folks!!!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 29

They are both beautiful but I have the say the inside of the first one swayed me. The thought of pineapple and coconut just sounds divine.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #15 of 29

Fantastic job on both cakes! Purple is my favorite colour but then again I really like shoes too.....what a dilemma.... icon_confused.gif

Good luck to both of you! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:52am
post #16 of 29

Both are great cakes, and it's tough to decide because one is classic girly quinceanera and the other is fun and modern but both beautiful and well done! Congratulations to both. icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:14am
post #17 of 29

Both cakes are fantastic. You both have done really well.

Good luck to both of you! thumbs_up.gif

kansaswolf Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:27am
post #18 of 29

Wow, we're getting a lot of great comments and votes! Thanks everyone!

The poll runs until next Sunday, so make sure everyone knows to come vote! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 29

Only 200+ votes! icon_confused.gif Come on people these cakes are gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

kansaswolf Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #20 of 29

Well, we got a number of votes, but maybe everyone was gone over the long weekend... Hm...

At any rate, thanks to Lesley and Stephanie for their awesome cakes!

Congratulations Stephanie, on your win! Now you get to choose someone to challenge... icon_biggrin.gif Good luck in future ventures!

xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Well, we got a number of votes, but maybe everyone was gone over the long weekend... Hm...

At any rate, thanks to Lesley and Stephanie for their awesome cakes!

Congratulations Stephanie, on your win! Now you get to choose someone to challenge... icon_biggrin.gif Good luck in future ventures!

Congrats to you both on doing such wonderful jobs on your cakes! We're looking forward to the next challenge Stephanie!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 29

What are the members user names? icon_confused.gif

Great job guys! thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #23 of 29

Kansaswolf, thanks so much for posting for us!

Lesley was great to do this with and so helpful with the rules (of course I was nervous when I saw the talent I was competing against!). I had to push myself really hard and try some new things!

If anyone would like to do a September Throwdown let me know. It's a great way to challenge yourself.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #24 of 29

congrats stephanie...

you made it hard for me to do something spectacular...

you did a wonderful job...

i guess i am out of the TD loop for a year... eventhough i dont know why that is a rule!!!

kansaswolf Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #25 of 29

It was snowshoe1 and pinklesley1 who competed, with snowshoe1 winning... Sorry, guess I didn't get that in there! Great job both of you!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:38am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1993

Only 200+ votes! icon_confused.gif Come on people these cakes are gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

i would have voted but the voting options aren't there anymore.. sorry this is the first time i saw the thread up or i'd have voted earlier.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

congrats stephanie...

i guess i am out of the TD loop for a year... eventhough i dont know why that is a rule!!!

Huh? Where was that rule stated, I did not know there were rules for who could compete in TDS?

xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

congrats stephanie...

Huh? Where was that rule stated, I did not know there were rules for who could compete in TDS?

Here's a link with the rules if anyone needs some more info:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583291-throwdown.html+rules

Daisys_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #29 of 29

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%