Game Board And Castle Cake

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 1:53am by Tashablueyes

Tashablueyes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I'll be making a cake for a brother and sister. He loves fantasy and gaming and stuff and she likes all things girly and princessy. I was thinking I'd make a gameboard like a forest or something with gumpaste trees and then on one side have a cake castle with a princess inside and have a knight and a dragon on the game board. I think the game board will be done with fondant and gumpaste well in advance and just done over cardboard or wood or something, but does anyone have any ideas on how to do it all? I'm sure I can figure it out, but I could use pictures and ideas and stuff for inspiration.

Thanks!

5 replies
Tashablueyes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:46am
post #2 of 6

Darn! I was so hoping someone had some ideas! It's gonna be awfully ambitious and I'm a little stressed over it!

armywifebryan Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 6

Take a look at Debbie Brown's book "Enchanted Cakes for Children. It has a lot of princesses, dragons, castles, etc. Might give you some ideas. Her website is http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/

You could always use a sheet cake for the game board and make fondant/gumpaste figures on top for the castle and dragons.
HTH

Teresa

Tashablueyes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the link. I thought about doing a sheetcake, but I want to have a lot of time to work on the game board beforehand without worrying about cake because I have a feeling I'll be putting a lot of time into it.

armywifebryan Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

As long as you draw up your idea ahead of time you should be good. You will have time to work things out ahead of time in your head and it will make it easier to work through any glitches that come up later on once assembling. For example....if you decide on a checker/chess board. You will already know what your sheet cake size is and can figure out on graph paper how many squares of each color you will need. Once it is time to cut them out of fondant you will know exactly how many you need. Whereas, if you don't plan it out, you will be cutting and placing as you go. See what I mean? It just makes everything easier for me anyways. lol HTH Feel free to pm if you have any questions. Always glad to help a fellow caker.

Teresa

Tashablueyes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tip Teresa, you know, it never even occurred to me to use graphing paper. Honestly, I should probably be using it to plan out most of my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%