How Do I Get A 2D Cake To Look 3D And Buttercream?

Decorating By catin Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38am by TooMuchCake

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake order for a 2D My little Pony Cake for next week and the person ordering the cake wanted to know if I can get the head looking like 3D .

I thought on adding more cake to the head part to make it pop out a little more . But how to I go about it ?

And also she wants two different colors of Buttercream on the pony ...the fading color affect ( as you see alot on the plastic pony play toys). How do I get that effect with the buttercream ? Do i just brush it on ?

Help please!!!

Julie

8 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry I can't help icon_redface.gif but I'm looking forward to the reply's from all our talented caker's on CC birthday.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, you can put on the two colors of buttercream and blend them together. I do it a lot. You can see in my photos where sometimes I do that, and sometimes I give it a faint airbrushing. The dragon is airbrushed, for example, and the Father Christmas and New Puppy are shaded with different shades of buttercream.

HTH,
Deanna

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 9

Your Cakes are beautiful TwoMuchCake, I was wondering if the brush buttercream technique would work to blend the colors

TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you! Yes, I hot-brush my buttercream sculptures so that will work nicely to blend the colors.

Deanna

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Thank you! Yes, I hot-brush my buttercream sculptures so that will work nicely to blend the colors.

Deanna

I've never heard of hot-brush, can you explain? I agree, your cakes are phenominal!

TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! Instead of using a hot spatula to smooth the icing (like some people do when they base-ice their cakes), use a soft brush heated the same way to smooth the icing. You can get into the contours better with the brush.

Deanna

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all that information TooMuchCake. The next time you do this technique, would you be able to take a couple of pictures, for a visual on it, for us?

Thanks again -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

I have a video out where I made a dog cake similar to the one in my avatar, and a lion cake. I show how to cover them in buttercream. If you're interested, there is a link in my sig line. My alter-ego website (www.cakedalaska.com) has some in-progress photos on it, but none of them show me doing the hot brushing. They're of the cakes in stages. I'll have a monkey cake on there sometime this week, I hope.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%