How Do I Get A 2D Cake To Look 3D And Buttercream?

Decorating By catin Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38am by TooMuchCake

catin Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake order for a 2D My little Pony Cake for next week and the person ordering the cake wanted to know if I can get the head looking like 3D .

I thought on adding more cake to the head part to make it pop out a little more . But how to I go about it ?

And also she wants two different colors of Buttercream on the pony ...the fading color affect ( as you see alot on the plastic pony play toys). How do I get that effect with the buttercream ? Do i just brush it on ?

Help please!!!

Julie

8 replies
Dixiegal01 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry I can't help icon_redface.gif but I'm looking forward to the reply's from all our talented caker's on CC birthday.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, you can put on the two colors of buttercream and blend them together. I do it a lot. You can see in my photos where sometimes I do that, and sometimes I give it a faint airbrushing. The dragon is airbrushed, for example, and the Father Christmas and New Puppy are shaded with different shades of buttercream.

HTH,
Deanna

catin Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 9

Your Cakes are beautiful TwoMuchCake, I was wondering if the brush buttercream technique would work to blend the colors

TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you! Yes, I hot-brush my buttercream sculptures so that will work nicely to blend the colors.

Deanna

Dixiegal01 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Thank you! Yes, I hot-brush my buttercream sculptures so that will work nicely to blend the colors.

Deanna

I've never heard of hot-brush, can you explain? I agree, your cakes are phenominal!

TooMuchCake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! Instead of using a hot spatula to smooth the icing (like some people do when they base-ice their cakes), use a soft brush heated the same way to smooth the icing. You can get into the contours better with the brush.

Deanna

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all that information TooMuchCake. The next time you do this technique, would you be able to take a couple of pictures, for a visual on it, for us?

Thanks again -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

I have a video out where I made a dog cake similar to the one in my avatar, and a lion cake. I show how to cover them in buttercream. If you're interested, there is a link in my sig line. My alter-ego website (www.cakedalaska.com) has some in-progress photos on it, but none of them show me doing the hot brushing. They're of the cakes in stages. I'll have a monkey cake on there sometime this week, I hope.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%