Anyone Happy/unhappy With Fat Daddios Square Pans

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm by sugarcheryl

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing a square stacked wedding cake and am looking for a good square pans with sharp corners. I am interested in Magic Line, but most places I look are out of the sizes I need, or the shipping is CRAZY. I see that Global Sugar Art has Fat Daddios at a reasonable price, but it says slightly rounded corners. Am I better off paying more at another site for the Magic Line??

10 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 11

I love my square fat daddios. I am going to ice in buttercream or crumb coat for fondant so I "square" up the corners then. To me it's not noticable when the cake comes out of the pan and hasn't been an issue. And washing them is a breeze!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 11

Yep. I have round FDs, and SQ MLs the MLs are a far superior cake pan.

Mike

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 11

There was a big debate on CC about these pans about a year ago. Check archives to get more information.

I would give you some links but I'm on dial up and takes forever.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoat

There was a big debate on CC about these pans about a year ago. Check archives to get more information.

I would give you some links but I'm on dial up and takes forever.

That threaf was probably lost in the crash. I used to hate the FD square pans because it seemed the edged overcooked, but when I started using bake even strips that solved that issue. They do have more rounded corners, but it is probably such a slight difference I don't think you could tell by the you add BC.

I'm interested in hearing more opinions as I need to buy some 10" squares...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 11

eith er way, FD pans are cheaper at fondantsource.co m code "cakecentral" will save an extra 10%

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 11

I have FD square pans and I am really happy with them.

I use my buttercream to make the sharp square look and the corners are not really rounded just not as sharp as ML.

They clean up very well and I haven't had any issues with baking temp. I usually bake between 325 and 340.

I haven't regretted my purchase at all.

Lori2240 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the input!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 11

I compared the ML and FD square pans -- I tried to write a post that showed comparisons with photos, but it got "edited...". However, it might still be of use to see the different results people got with the two types, since there are lots of replies and experiences collected in the thread. Mix vs. scratch, baking temp, and method of preparing the pan all affected the results. icon_smile.gif

So. here's the thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=588334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

My position remains the same: try the two, and decide what works for you! thumbs_up.gif

Also, I found ML to be cheaper at Country Kitchens.

(and please note my use of "smiley faces" is to convey my sense of humor about the whole thing.... icon_biggrin.gif )

Lori2240 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 11

That is an interesting thread... I just placed an order for the Magic Line squares, so Ill let you guys know what I think. Thanks!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 11

Good choice someone asked me about FD vs ML. I told them ML because of the sharp lines. That's all I use far as the square pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%