Cake Pricing Help...

Business By ThreeDGirlie Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 6:38am by katefrosting

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 4

I'm newly getting into a home baking business (yes, it's legal in my state/county)... My first paid cake was not supposed to be until next month.

But then I made a pretty cool Arkansas Razorback cake for a friend's birthday this week, and I have had 2 inquiries about it, 1 of htem seems pretty serious, the other maybe just to file away... Can you take a look at the Razorback cake in my gallery and give me an honest cake pricing suggestion? If made in one flavor, it uses a full WASC recipe, so 3 of my scratch recipes.

The going rate for a non-grocery-store 12x18 sheet cake in my area is $50 to give you an idea of the area.

Thanks for your suggestions!

3 replies
karateka Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:22am
post #2 of 4

I charge a minimum of $4/serving for 3D cakes. I think for your area you could get that much for something cool like that. My area has a Wal-Mart that sells half sheets for $24. Plus a Sam's, and a few other deep discount places that use their bakery as a loss leader. So sad.

One careful of doing copyrighted images, you could land in trouble with the owner. I know lots of people do them and haven't gotten caught, but you never know where the shoe will drop.

seasonsmoke Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 4

You have a lot of detail work in your cake, even on the tail. If a sheet cake in your area goes for $50.00, then charge at least $70.00. What is the going rate in your area for carved cakes? Then you will have a target price.

katefrosting Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:38am
post #4 of 4

Great work! Have to agree with Karateka on the copyright issue. Otherwise, if a 12x18 sheet cake is $50.00 you should be able to get at least $75 to $100 for that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%