What Color For The Bathroom?

Lounge By turtle3264 Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 2:55am by lardbutt

turtle3264 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 15

I am thinking of painting the bathroom. I have wallpaper in there now, but I am taking it down. The picture is kind of dark though. The tiles around the bathtub and shower are burgandy. The tile on the floor is white with little pink squares on it. I was trying to think of a good color to go with that. I wanted to see what you guys suggested.
LL

14 replies
mrsscholler Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 15

maybe a nice pale blue like a calm spa blue

MnSnow Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 15

silver or emerald green

sweetness_221 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 15

You know I've struggled with this same problem. What I did is very boring...I just painted it white. Not because I couldn't think of a color choice, but because I figured if I want to, I can change the color of the accessories (shower curtain, towels, etc...) whenever I want without having to paint the bathroom again. My suggestion would be to paint it something kind of neutral that way you're not stuck with a certain color. What amazes me is the only room in my house that isn't a color is my bathroom. My DD has a pink room, my other dd's have a purple room and my office is a very deep blue. So I'm not afraid of color. I guess I just wanted a little flexibility in there. One thing I won't recommend is red. My friend painted her very small bathroom a very dark red color. It looked like her walls were bleeding. Not a pretty sight. Good luck in whatever you decide and let us know what you pick.

turtle3264 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 15

I was kind of leaning toward a brown or green, but I have no idea about what shade. It is a pretty big room, but I wonder if a darker color will make it look closed in?

koolaidstains Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 15

I painted a previous bathroom a dark hunter green. The bathroom was narrow, had a double sink, a toilet and a tub so it wasn't big by any means. Painting the whole bathroom a darker color actually made it appear larger and I ended up loving it. We had a fish theme going on. The shower cutain had various shades of green on the bottom with blue on the top with tropical fish. We had pops of color with the towels and picture frames. If you go with a lighter shade I would consider painting the ceiling also as that will make the room appear larger.

punkinpie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:29am
post #7 of 15

I can't see the pic icon_sad.gif

turtle3264 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 15

I don't know what happened to the pic. It was up there and now it's gone. I didn't change anything. I have decided to paint the bathroom brown. The shade is called cocoa truffle. Right now I am learning the joys of tearing down wallpaper.

ElectricCook Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 15

To take down the wallpaper try fabric softner and water mixed in a spray bottle 50/50.

Spray the wall and then cover it with plastic. Let it sit for a while and then try to peal it off. Use the very thin plastic that can be used as a drop cloth.

Check Home Depot in the painting section they should have it.

punkinpie Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle3264

I don't know what happened to the pic. It was up there and now it's gone. I didn't change anything. I have decided to paint the bathroom brown. The shade is called cocoa truffle. Right now I am learning the joys of tearing down wallpaper.

The removal of wallpaper is the worst job! My sympathies! I found warm water in a sprayer applied to the wall (after I scored it) to be the best (inexpensive) and chemical free way to go. After it set for a bit I used a scraper and it would come off pretty good.

Hope it is not super-glued on there icon_wink.gif

sweetness_221 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie

Quote:

The removal of wallpaper is the worst job! My sympathies! I found warm water in a sprayer applied to the wall (after I scored it) to be the best (inexpensive) and chemical free way to go. After it set for a bit I used a scraper and it would come off pretty good.

Hope it is not super-glued on there icon_wink.gif

I did the same thing when I was removing wallpaper. I used hot water in a sprayer and one of those razor blade things for glass. They have them by the paint supplies at Home Depot or Lowe's. You just have to be sure you don't push too hard with the razor because you'll cut into the wall. Took the wall paper right off.

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #12 of 15

Don't paint it brown or yellow...two colors you just don't want to see on the wall of a bathroom. I had a yellow one at our rental house and now one of our bathrooms at our new house is painted brown. They both grossed me out. LOL. Maybe your's is a nicer brown, but this one isn't. I can't wait to paint over it.

cookingfor5 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 15

Before you choose a paint color, find the accessories and shower curtain you want. I have a camel color bathroom that I get a lot of compliments with because it works well with my dark colored vanity. I am planning to paint my 1/2 bath sage green for a clean fresh feel.

Have fun! And remember it is so easy to paint over it if you don't like it.

turtle3264 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

Here is a pic of the finished bathroom. The shade is dark, but I think it goes well with the burgandy tiles around the tub.
LL

lardbutt Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Here is a pic of the finished bathroom. The shade is dark, but I think it goes well with the burgandy tiles around the tub.

I really like it! It does go great with the burgandy. I think you chose the perfect color!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%