Sugarshacks Icing Help

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 3:19am by __Jamie__

amyfj1 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 23

Sugarshack, I have seen where most people say to only use 1 cup of hi-ratio shortening per 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar. I have been using your recipe of 5 c. hi-ratio shortening, 5 lb. of powdered sugar, flavoring and the coffee creamer/water mixture. I always have great results and everyone LOVES it. My question is: why is everyone saying to use 1 c hi-ratio to 2 lb ps and you use 1 c hi-ratio to 1 lb. ps?

22 replies
sugarshack Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #2 of 23

lots of people use less hi ratio than regular shortening in their recipes. The theory is that the added emulsifiers in the hi ratio allows u to use less and get same results. That has not worked for me, so i stick with the 1:1 ratio, but you can experiment!

HTH

amyfj1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 23

Sugarshack,

Thanks for replying! I'm not going to experiment because i don't think I need to ruin a good thing. I love your icing - taste and smoothness. Thank you so much for the youtube video of you making your icing!
Amy

sugarshack Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #4 of 23

thumbs_up.gif

lilahcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 23

Im a newbie at cake decorating, can i have you buttercream recipe or can you tell me how to get it.

sugarshack Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpinupgirl

Im a newbie at cake decorating, can i have you buttercream recipe or can you tell me how to get it.

of course!

recipeicon_sad.gif no sifting)

lilahcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 23

Thanks sooo much!!

woodthi32 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpinupgirl

Thanks sooo much!!

You MUST order her buttercream video. MUST
GO BULLDOGS!!!

lilahcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 23

I THINK i WILL, THANKS

julia1963 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 23

How long will this buttercream last? how can I store it? iI would like to make some to practice with my daughters, but will not be able to use all at once. Thank you for your help. Julia

sugarshack Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 23

A long a$$ time.... hahahahahaha

all shortening.... counter for weeks

fridge/freezer forever

keep the surface air tight!

MrsLev557 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:21am
post #12 of 23

Does anyone know how many cups this recipe makes? I love the recipe and and the video on perfecting the art of buttercream, it has helped me alot! I have watched it few times and do not recall her saying how many cups the batch makes.

Thanks... Shirl

aileenlnbh Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:10am
post #13 of 23

as im in the uk, we dont have "hi ratio" shortening. what our equivalent is of shortening is the white lard type stuff called Cookeen or Trex. Does ANYONE know what the UK equivalent of hi ratio is so that I can make sugarshacks recipe???? TIA

terrig007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:12am
post #14 of 23

Thanks for posting this great thread. I was wondering how long it would last on the counter too!
Lilahcakes, I have all 3 and have learned so much I cannot wait to see what the next batch brings so I can learn more.
Mrs Lev, I'll be making some this morning so I will let you know later today.

gingersoave Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:28am
post #15 of 23

I just love Sugarshacks recipe, use it all the time, if you use vanilla flavor it tastes like room temp vanilla ice cream. I use the off brand crisco with still the trans fat in it. I use either the off food lion brand or Kroger. Works great!

I did leave mine in the pantry for maybe 2 months and it did get mold on it, freaked me out! So I now put it into the fridge. The mold was just little tiny tiny dark pieces, maybe it was the weather, but I will leave it in the pantry if I know I am using it soon. I did put some in the fridge and brought it out to room temp and it performed perfect.

I did get the DVD (all 3!) and followed the buttercream to a tee and OMG my cakes were so dang smooth and it was like a shell on the outside. And it made the cake even more moist!!! WOO HOO Thanks Sharon!!!! Can't wait for the other DVD's to come out!

gingersoave Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:32am
post #16 of 23

Sorry to be a ding-a-ling, but what is hi ratio shortening? Does that mean it still has trans fat in it? I don't get out much icon_redface.gif

terrig007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 23

Mrs. Lev, I have a 7 qt cuisinart mixer and it made approx. 18 cups. My 19 cup airtight bowl is just about full.
One question though, I am using it Friday, do I need to re-whip it or can I just use it from the container?
Thanks.

gingersoave Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 23

No need to rewhip it, it holds perfect till its gone!!!

terrig007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #19 of 23

Ginger, Thanks so much. I was unsure because a few recipes sometimes say you need to if you don't use it right away.
BTW I love the cake in your picture. I used to live in VA BCH myself. I wouldn't mind returning to Hampton Roads but my M-I-L lives there as well and that makes it a no-go unfortunately.

bobhope Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

You MUST order her buttercream video. MUST
GO BULLDOGS!!!

got sharon's bc & fondant dvds last month, it's amazing how she can make those cakes so flawless thumbs_up.gif ..still got a lot to learn icon_biggrin.gif

gingersoave Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #21 of 23

terrig007, where in va beach did you live. I'm in Great Neck right next to Cox HS. I teach at the Michaels at Hilltop. Does all this ring a bell? Love it here, we have been here 6 years, My DH is a manager at USAA so hopefully we will be here a bit longer.

Sharon's DVD's, I bought them a while back and watched them but never really did her techniques other than the icing and man oh man I followed her buttercream DVD on smoothing and HOLY COW it really works and I would say that I am remedial when it comes to following instructions, I tend to do my own thing, not this time. I highly recommend following it to a tee, you'll NEVER go back to your old ways I promise!!! I am doing a wedding cake next month and I plan to follow the Successful Stacking as well.

GO SHARON GO SHARON!!!! I'm doing the little dance!!! icon_lol.gif

terrig007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #22 of 23

Ginger, I used to teach at Cox HS. Isn't that funny? I lived at Hilltop at the Lattitudes and owned a townhome across from the Catholic high school they built in the mid-90's. I left in 2000, when I got married.
I agree about the greatness of these videos. I'm hoping that she'll do one on topsy turvy cakes. In spite of my best efforts, I haven't had one come out well at all.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #23 of 23

Holy moly! Just watched that clip on youtube of sharon's buttercream icing.....my buttercream doesn't look like that! But it will from now ooooon! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%