House Cake

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm by aligotmatt

aligotmatt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 4

I was asked (and will be paid) to make a house that looks like a Habitat for Humanity house to celebrate their 100th house here. It's going to be a party for 200 volunteers and donors. Just as an aside, I was asked to stay, so I'm going to wear my chef coat and be all celebrity decorator... But anyway... the house has siding. I was considering buying a pleated rolling pin and rolling out sheets of gumpaste/fondant and adhearing solid sheets. It may be too pleated though for the siding look. What if I covered the whole thing in fondant and then rolled the rolling pin along the side? For a smaller cake I would cover it and then quickly make the lines before the fondant got too hard, but it's too many lines on too big of a cake... Any help or thoughts or other opinions on the house would be appreciated. TIA!!

3 replies
KonfectionKonnection Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 4

On Ace of Cakes, Geoff used the Ribbon Cutter Embosser (Wilton) to mark siding on one of the houses he did (after covering the cake). I know you are worried you might not have time on a large cake, but maybe since it allows you to make multiple lines with one pass it would be quick enough? HTH.

(And have fun being the celebrity cake decorator!) icon_biggrin.gif

mrsscholler Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 4

yeah i agree use the fondant embosser. and im sure it will turn out great hope you have an absolutely fabulous time!!!! thumbs_up.gif

aligotmatt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 4

Does anyone have this would it work'?

Quote by @%username% on %date%