Please Help A Newbie With Her Son's Bday Cake...

Decorating By crafty_mom Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 3:27am by mama5kiddos

crafty_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty_mom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

OK, since I'm so inexpierenced, I need your help. I'm making my son's birthday cake for his 7th birthday. I'm going to attempt an army tank. icon_confused.gif
This is what I need help with. I would like to bake the cake on Friday, decorate on Saturday, and have it for the party on Sunday. Could you tell me what would be the best way to go about this, in amature terms??
I know I wouldn't freeze it, but do I wrap it up and put in fridge...leave it on the counter...layer and fill....or leave it naked??? I'm so nervous about this. I've been planning for weeks. Thanks for any help you can give.

TIA,
Jen

8 replies
JillianMaryjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillianMaryjane Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #2 of 9

i generally leave it naked and throw it in the fridge. once the frosting has set up enough i throw some plastic wrap on it. But take the plastic wrap off as soon as it comes outta the fridge or it will stick. it may be the wrong way but it works for me.......i have my daughters 9th coming up...i have never bought a cake.

crafty_mom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 9

Oh yeah, I also saw where some ppl make their icing the day before too. Should I do this...or make it the day I decorate it??

Thanks again
Jen

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 9

What I normally do is bake one night and wrap the layers in plastic wrap after they've cooled a bit. I'll leave the wrapped layers on the cooling racks on my dining table. The next day (or night!) I'll decorate the cake for the function on the following day.

For example, for my DD's Cinderella cake, I baked on Fri. night, filled & crumb coated Sat. afternoon, decorated on Sat. night and the party was on Sun. afternoon.

No refrigeration - I use Sugarshack's BC (w/hi-ratio shortening) and fillings that are shelf-stable since I usually don't have enough room in the fridge for a cake! icon_smile.gif

HTH,
Karen

crafty_mom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 9

Thank you both so much! thumbs_up.gif

JillianMaryjane Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 9

i hope you post a picture I can't wait to see it!

JillianMaryjane Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 9

i hope you post a picture I can't wait to see it!

crafty_mom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #8 of 9

If I make it through the whole ordeal, I definately will. icon_confused.gif

Jen

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

What I normally do, is bake all the needed cake(s) one day, and while they are baking I mix all the fillings/frosting. Wrap them in saran wrap, let them sit on the counter overnight. Next day, I fill/frost them and decorate, then if they need to be refridgerated, I leave them there overnight. I leave any little "finishing touches" for the next morning, if needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%