Chocolate Ganache Disaster

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:28am
post #1 of 7

Just realized I don't have enough expensive chocolate bar to make the ganache I need to make tonight. Can I use regular chocolate chips????

6 replies
renee2007 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #2 of 7

yes. that is what I use thumbs_up.gif

Skidoochic Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Renee!

My new problem is I have melted down every piece of chocolate I can find and I just can't get this ganache "filling" recipe to work. (I used Chocolate Ganache II") I don't know what I did wrong. It is hard as a rock after waiting the hour recommended. So I thought maybe I was supposed to whip it. Tried that and got rock hard lumps of delicious tasting chocolate. Then I thought, maybe I can spread it. Nope! Just tears the cake up.

This cake is due tomorrow. It is now 10:52PM and I have been working on cakes since 7:15 a.m. With my last bit of cream and a couple of bags of chocolate chips (yes - I used up all the good expensive chocolate on the first failed batch), I am trying the Whipped Chocolate Ganache recipe in the Recipe section which has to refrigerate overnight. I am going to pray this one turns out and go to bed. I am absolutely exhausted. Sixty-one hours at my "9-5" job and tonight will be the first night in about 6 weeks I have been to bed before midnight. icon_cry.gif

Sorry to vent...I just thought my day would go MUCH smoother today than it did. thumbsdown.gif

MamaBerry Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoochic

Thanks Renee!

My new problem is I have melted down every piece of chocolate I can find and I just can't get this ganache "filling" recipe to work. (I used Chocolate Ganache II") I don't know what I did wrong. It is hard as a rock after waiting the hour recommended. So I thought maybe I was supposed to whip it. Tried that and got rock hard lumps of delicious tasting chocolate. Then I thought, maybe I can spread it. Nope! Just tears the cake up.

This cake is due tomorrow. It is now 10:52PM and I have been working on cakes since 7:15 a.m. With my last bit of cream and a couple of bags of chocolate chips (yes - I used up all the good expensive chocolate on the first failed batch), I am trying the Whipped Chocolate Ganache recipe in the Recipe section which has to refrigerate overnight. I am going to pray this one turns out and go to bed. I am absolutely exhausted. Sixty-one hours at my "9-5" job and tonight will be the first night in about 6 weeks I have been to bed before midnight. icon_cry.gif

Sorry to vent...I just thought my day would go MUCH smoother today than it did. thumbsdown.gif

It sounds like there's not enough cream for your chocolate in order to make the ganache pourable. Play around with the ratio because it sounds like the cream ratio may be too low.

thecakebox Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:13am
post #5 of 7

Is it cold at all? I use Chocolate Ganache 1 and it turns out perfect every time http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html doesn't need to sit overnight either, just till it gets to room temp. good luck!

mclaren Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:25am
post #6 of 7

i've made choc ganache successfully, but never with expensive chocolate, as i cannot get any, here, where i live.

so i just used 1:1 choc pieces and cream, just heat the cream until it simmered, then put in the choc into the bowl of hot cream, let them stand for like 1 or 2 minutes, then stir to incorporate the two.
never had probs with that method.

HTH.

Skidoochic Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 7

Finally---Success!!!!!

Thank you for support and guidance. Also thank you for listening to me whine! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%