Spice Cake For A Crowd

Baking By flakygal Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm by weirkd

flakygal Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! Total noob here. I have been admiring all your cakes for some time and I'm really enjoying baking and decorating my own. I'll start posting soon.

So, here's my dilemma. I am baking a birthday cake for a crowd. The birthday girl has requested spice cake, which I love. However, I'm having trouble finding a recipe that doesn't fall apart or sink when cooked in a 12 inch round. They taste good, but they are a pain to decorate! I guess what I need is a cake with more structure and less moisture? Anyway, I'd love any recipe suggestions or tips. FYI: I did use a flower nail heating core and it didn't help at all. I haven't tried the baking strips, but maybe that's the answer.

My plan is to stack a 12" layer and an 8" layer. I cook exclusively from scratch. I don't have any problems with mixes, but I really enjoy the process of making something yummy from flour, butter, sugar and eggs. So, if anyone has a suggestion for a recipe, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks,
Flakygal

4 replies
7yyrt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #2 of 5

I found this recipe for 100 servings, maybe it'll help. If it works in an 18 by 26-inch sheet pan, it ought to have no problem with your round pans. - http://www.foodservicerecipes.com/food/foodrecipes/Desserts_-_Cakes_Fillings_and_Frostings/252.htm

KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 5

I use my tried and true white cake and just add a spice blend to it.

flakygal Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I'm going to try that recipe for 100 right away. I hadn't thought about just adding a spice mix to a white cake recipe. That's a really good idea.

weirkd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 5

I took a butter mix also and added the spices from Martha Stewarts recipe. It also called for brown sugar which I also added.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%